Finally getting my dream of a shed coop! Hints, tips or tricks?

AhyokaAcres

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
North Carolina
I'm super excited to say that we are going in about an hour to check out a shed that I found on good 'ole Craigslist! Wood, 10x10, and already has vinyl floors...and here's the real kicker - UNDER $500! I have been looking EVERYWHERE, but in my area wood sheds go for at least $900, and with a full ranch to run, that was out of the question. I gave up on my dream of a big shed coop, but happened to look on CL one more time this weekend!

Now, I need some tips. I will be repainting it when it comes to match the barn and eventually the house (white and green). I have scoured threads on the subject, and finally decided to start my own (and hopefully a coop page, if all goes well today)

However I am a construction newbie, and would love advice on things such as:

• nest boxes - where, should they be inside, or the pop-out kind, how high, and how many for 20 layer
  • the chicken door - I can't afford a $200 auto door atm, however I would like to know the best and easies way to cut/instal a door
  • windows - I am a TOTAL newbie to windows and framing, but was going to see what they have at the Re-Store today
  • ventilation - willl windows be enough, or do I need to cut vents? I was considering using AC registers, would that work?
  • floor cover - this will be right next to the house, and the run will extend under my deck, so what are the best ways to keep the smell to a minimum?
  • best roost designs?

I'm sorry for all the questions! I'm excited and want to do it right the first time!

I had started building a 5x5 coop, and put too much time and money so far to just leave it, so I was considering moving it across the yard and attaching it to a dog run as a big roomy duck house, and moving the nest boxes to floor-level.

Thank you in advance!

-The Newly Addicted Chicken Lady-

Well, I can tell you what's been working for me.

Nest boxes: almost anything and anywhere. I personally would never bother to build pop out ones, primarily because I want to go in and check on things anyway, but also, they may lay outside the nest, and external ones tend to leak and be less secure against predators. Lots of reasons. I have them 4" above the floor, 2' above the floor, and on the floor. I have a communal nest and several single ones. I have easily portable ones (an open top plastic bin is one, with a cutout in front.) People use old dresser drawers, 5 gallon buckets -- you name it. I have yet to spend money to build a nest.

If you think you may have a broody set eggs one day, it will be handy to have a somewhat larger, portable nest. I also have a corner of my coop sectioned off with chicken wire so a broody can set in peace; I just open the door when the chicks are a couple of days old and eager to join the flock.

My chicken door is just a hole framed in 2x4's. The door itself has hinges along the bottom so that it is also a low ramp. 6" or so of wall below any door helps keep litter inside the coop. It closes with a chain and hook.

Windows can also be framed holes in the wall, covered with wire mesh for predator protection. If needed, you can staple plastic over them in the winter, or make a simple wooden shutter or framed piece of glass on hinges, with a hook closure. House windows aren't much use; the screen will not stop a predator. If you have them positioned so they don't allow air to blow on the roost, you may not even need to close a shutter in winter.

Ventilation is best at the high point of the coop and needs to be a pretty substantial amount. It is there to let out humidity and ammonia that the chickens put out, and is needed even in a very cold winter. If it is high, it will not cause a draft on the birds; fresh air will exchange right at the vent. It just depends how your shed is built. To me, the ideal is a roof that slants only one direction, with the entire area between highest wall and roof open air. Here's a classic article on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

I never smell my coop. Enough pine shavings usually does the trick. If it gets moist, throwing a couple handfuls of pelletized ag lime around helps greatly. Some TSC products like StallDri also work, as does adding a few shavings. Some people use poop boards and collect the night's poop daily. I throw some scratch under the roosts and let the chickens mix it in with the shavings. My coop is only mucked out about once a year. I also throw some Sevin in the shavings and nests now and then.

For a roost, just make it wide enough so they are comfortable. Chickens' feet don't curl around a narrow pole the was many birds' do. A thick branch or the wide side of a 2x4 seem to work well. They also like extra roosts, in another corner of the coop, or outdoors.

Your chickens will have more trouble with heat than cold, so shade is an important consideration as well.

You will have a great start, and with a little thought and work, a great coop in no time! Good for you for finding this!

for the door ---- I used the grooves on old tongue and groove flooring I capture from a building being demolished and added plywood that slides in the grooves .

Thank you both! We officially paid today, so all of this is going down in my "coop journal"!

I never thought about the tongue and groove. that's smart!

thank you for such a detailed response, flockwatcher. I'll definitely take a look at that link. The ventilation was the thing I was most worried about getting right. I definitely wouldn't want to get them sick or overheated. I was considering a small desk fan on the ceiling as well to circulate air on those horrible humid days.

I keep a cheap box fan running all summer, blowing out, although my coop is very airish, in effect as open air as a three sided building. Chicken dust burns out a fan in about a year, but at $15 from the dollar store, I can handle it.

My husband saw a roof vent that has a built-in fan that runs on a solar charged battery. It has a thermostat and runs when it reaches a certain temperature. You could probably google and find them...I think it was about $35. Not sure if you can set the thermostat however you want it, but I think I'm going to look into it and find out more about it for our hen house.

Thank you all for the tips!

We picked the shed up today! I'm really excited to get started on it. It needs some TLC, but its a great find for the price!

Wow! What a lucky find for sure!

Any time I find something good, my husband doesn't feel like borrowing my FIL's pickup and trailer...
he.gif

Wow! What a lucky find for sure!

Any time I find something good, my husband doesn't feel like borrowing my FIL's pickup and trailer...
he.gif

We have a friend with a towing company and he did it all with his tow truck for next to nothing!
I'm excited to get started, and of COURSE I have to work all day tomorrow so it has to wait for the weekend...
barnie.gif

I had something similar with mine. There was a road widening project and we watched for several of the houses that had sheds in the back yard to see when they were available for purchase. The road dept. turned them over to Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, who sold us one for $295 (GREAT PRICE) if we would haul it ourselves. We also had a friend that hauled for us. It was a great way to get the shed and also helped out Habitat!

Back
Top Bottom