Finally getting the big coop built.

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
The corner of our big garden shed is becoming home to my 4 girls. Getting it cleaned out was the biggest challenge. We are only using chicken wire because nothing bigger than a snake can get in the shed. Still need nest boxes and we're putting a pop door to lead to a run, and a window, and ventilation by the roof. It's getting there. Hope to move them in on Monday! Here are progress pics.
20221009_141349.jpg
20221009_141401.jpg
20221009_143822.jpg

Looking good! I was going to ask if you really need to add ventilation by the roof - It's only 4 chickens, and that's a BIG shed (air space), and I see some air gaps by the roof already. Ah - but climate matters. I see you are in SW Missouri. Yes, ventilation! They'll need LOTS more air flow in the summer, but they'll be OK through the winter with just a window for light and solar heating. I'd configure those vents to be closed up when weather is coldest and windiest. They won't need it.

Looking good! I was going to ask if you really need to add ventilation by the roof - It's only 4 chickens, and that's a BIG shed (air space), and I see some air gaps by the roof already. Ah - but climate matters. I see you are in SW Missouri. Yes, ventilation! They'll need LOTS more air flow in the summer, but they'll be OK through the winter with just a window for light and solar heating. I'd configure those vents to be closed up when weather is coldest and windiest. They won't need it.
I plan on putting shutters on the windows so we can close them when it storms. Otherwise they'll be open screens of 1/4" hardware cloth. The end of the shed is in shade when there's leaves on the trees. I checked at the hottest part of summer and it was only 1 degree hotter inside, so I think I'll have enough ventilation. I plan on opening the shed door for light and for breeze when it's hot. I think it will work out well.

I plan on putting shutters on the windows so we can close them when it storms. Otherwise they'll be open screens of 1/4" hardware cloth. The end of the shed is in shade when there's leaves on the trees. I checked at the hottest part of summer and it was only 1 degree hotter inside, so I think I'll have enough ventilation. I plan on opening the shed door for light and for breeze when it's hot. I think it will work out well.
Sounds like an excellent plan!

You're making good progress.

In re: ventilation, have you seen my article? https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

I see that you've put roosts across the corners. Chickens sometimes find those difficult to use because the areas on the ends don't let them get their tails comfortably between the roost and the wall.
Yes, I've seen your excellent article. 🙂 I'm sure I'll have plenty of the right type of ventilation.

The coop is about 7x7. There are only 4 hens, the longer perch is about 5 feet long. I planned on them being along the back wall, but I'm about out of lumber for now, so it'll have to do until I buy some 2x4s. I'm actually a bit more worried about their height. The upper one is about 4 feet up. They can get up there okay, right?

Yes, I've seen your excellent article. 🙂 I'm sure I'll have plenty of the right type of ventilation.

The coop is about 7x7. There are only 4 hens, the longer perch is about 5 feet long. I planned on them being along the back wall, but I'm about out of lumber for now, so it'll have to do until I buy some 2x4s. I'm actually a bit more worried about their height. The upper one is about 4 feet up. They can get up there okay, right?

They can get up there if they've got room to fly up and down at about a 45-degree angle.

If you're doubtful, you could put something there that they could hop up on to give them an assist.

I'm so happy for you and your little chicken family! I've just read through your postings and remember now how much you looked forward to getting these four little girls, and how the plans nearly came apart at one point. You are well on your way, and your birds are lucky to have such a conscientious and caring keeper. ❤️

I'm so happy for you and your little chicken family! I've just read through your postings and remember now how much you looked forward to getting these four little girls, and how the plans nearly came apart at one point. You are well on your way, and your birds are lucky to have such a conscientious and caring keeper. ❤️
Awww thank you!

Back
Top Bottom