Finally got eggs.

We have 6 hens 4 buff,1 silver lace and 1 cinnamon queen. I had 3 eggs yesterday and got 2 so far today. I let the shark go after the pic, I do not eat them. The yellow eye was not as lucky.

It seems you are getting eggs regularly now.

I was joking about the shark. I caught a little shark when I was in Ketchikan fishing for halibut. I didn't even know there were sharks in Alaska until I caught one. :) The one I caught was smaller than the one you caught, though.

It seems you are getting eggs regularly now.

I was joking about the shark. I caught a little shark when I was in Ketchikan fishing for halibut. I didn't even know there were sharks in Alaska until I caught one. :) The one I caught was smaller than the one you caught, though.

I just hope with the days getting shorter and the cold they will keep laying. I will put lights and a heat lamp on a timer soon. I love halibut fishing. Did you get any halibut or just a shark? We have salmon sharks that get pretty big. 10 foot plus.

I just hope with the days getting shorter and the cold they will keep laying. I will put lights and a heat lamp on a timer soon. I love halibut fishing. Did you get any halibut or just a shark? We have salmon sharks that get pretty big. 10 foot plus.

Yeah, I caught halibut, salmon, and other fish, such as rock fish. I didn't see any big sharks.

As far as your coop goes, if you have a dry coop without drafts (you do need ventilation), you don't need to heat the coop. There are people on this board in Canada and Alaska who do not heat their coops.

Some people use a light to encourage hens to lay eggs. I suppose it doesn't hurt. You can get something like an LED rope light pretty cheap, and it doesn't use much electricity. If you do use a light, it should give the chickens 14 hours of light when combined with the sunlight available. I suppose the days are pretty short there in the winter.

Last edited:
Yeah, I caught halibut, salmon, and other fish, such as rock fish. I didn't see any big sharks.

As far as your coop goes, if you have a dry coop without drafts (you do need ventilation), you don't need to heat the coop. There are people on this board in Canada and Alaska who do not heat their coops.

Some people use a light to encourage hens to lay eggs. I suppose it doesn't hurt. You can get something like an LED rope light pretty cheap, and it doesn't use much electricity. If you do use a light, it should give the chickens 14 hours of light when combined with the sunlight available. I suppose the days are pretty short there in the winter.

The coop is insulated and dry. Just big enough for 6 chickens so i think they will be ok with out heat but will pit in a heat lamp just in case it gets really cold. Think I will use led lights on a timer for 14 hours. TY for the input.

The coop is insulated and dry. Just big enough for 6 chickens so i think they will be ok with out heat but will pit in a heat lamp just in case it gets really cold. Think I will use led lights on a timer for 14 hours. TY for the input.

You have an insulated coop -- that's even better. And with a small coop, the hens can stay warmer together.

How cold does it get there? If you are going to use a heat lamp, I would suggest only to use it when it gets very cold. You don't want to use it every week. You want your chickens to be acclimated to the cold weather.

If you have 10 hours of daylight, you only need to use the LED light for 4 hours. It changes based on the length of the day.

You have an insulated coop -- that's even better. And with a small coop, the hens can stay warmer together.

How cold does it get there? If you are going to use a heat lamp, I would suggest only to use it when it gets very cold. You don't want to use it every week. You want your chickens to be acclimated to the cold weather.

If you have 10 hours of daylight, you only need to use the LED light for 4 hours. It changes based on the length of the day.

It can get as cold as - 30/40 and as little as 5 1/2 hours of light,so when it starts to drop below 10 hours I will adjust accordingly.

I live in Anchorage, and just get some eggs a few days ago. It is good to know people from the same state!! :)

Back
Top Bottom