Finally got my chicks! Questions though...

PixieChixie

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
I got my chicks on Friday!
wee.gif
I guess I'd better change my signature.
We ended up with two EEs, two BRs, one black Australorp, and one black, one white, and one (presumably) partridge silkie.
Questions:
first off, somehow we made it home with a partridge with pasty butt. Tried getting some off, but only a little bit did. She's pooping fine. Any advice? I would be hesitant o get her wet for fear of chilling her.

Also, I didn't think to use paper towels for the first few days. The rocks were pecking around a little, but didn't appear to be consuming any. They ate all eating well (ravenously, actually) and scratching for spilled crumbles. I guess this wasn't really a question. They are on non-medicated organic feed with a little bit of electrolytes in their water.
Any advice for me?
*PC*

I had a horrid time with pasty butt this time around. I filled the sink with very warm water up to their little butts, and let them stand in it for a little while to soften the goop, and then gently worked it off with a paper towel in the water. I had a heat lamp and a small box ready to stick them in quickly after I was done. It worked well for me.

I was also told to add some molasses to their water for the first couple of days.

I've been partial to raising my chicks on a wire bottom cage. I put paper towels on the bottom for the first few days then remove it. I was informed that it helps make their feet stronger by putting them on the wire bottom cage. I don't know how true this is or isn't but having the litter underneath helps keep the babies cleaner and its a lot easier to clean up!

I would try a warm slightly damp paper towel or wash cloth to aide in removing some of the pasty butt issues. Take lots of pictures as they grow up so incredibly fast!! Good luck!!

I had a horrid time with pasty butt this time around. I filled the sink with very warm water up to their little butts, and let them stand in it for a little while to soften the goop, and then gently worked it off with a paper towel in the water. I had a heat lamp and a small box ready to stick them in quickly after I was done. It worked well for me.

I was also told to add some molasses to their water for the first couple of days.

Molasses. Hadn't heard that one before. I'd heard ACV and sugar. What exactly is the molasses' purpose?

I would use the electrolites in the water till the chicks get about 4-6 weeks or so. The feed store owners I get my feed from start their personal chickens on AVC at 8 weeks old.

Molasses. Hadn't heard that one before. I'd heard ACV and sugar. What exactly is the molasses' purpose?

Supposedly it is for the same reason as sugar, but I was told that it is better than just plain sugar...which I guess I could see. There are lots of good minerals and vitamins in it as well.

I also kept electrolytes in the waterer for the first few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom