FINALLY got our coop done today!

LittleBeaks

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
North Carolina, USA
And just in time, too! It started raining right when we got done!

We built the whole thing from scratch, and I'm very pleased with the outcome!

Also, here is a picture of my little happy chickies in their new home...

Looks good!!!!
cool.png

HAHA. I know that impatient feeling! I didn't realize how quickly chicks grow. I had my chicks before we even built the coop figuring we had some time to get it done. Well.......realizing just how quickly they were out growing the large dog crate I was temporarily keeping them inside in I had hubby out in the cold and rain building our coop
ep.gif
We also used recycled materials. Its actually mostly built using pallets.

I'm sure yours are loving their new home!

Nice!!

Need to put some heavier wire on there for predator protection, especially if you don't lock them in the coop at night(doesn't look like there's a door there).

Very nice!! Love the roof. I agree with aart. The chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep out most predators. Hardware cloth
is a better wire. It can be pricey but it's worth it to keep your chicks safe.

Agreed. We have every kind of predator here, except wolves. After reading some horror stories on this site about predator incursions, I opted to do 2" X 4" welded wire over the entire run, even the floor, then covered the lower 36 inches with an additional layer of 1/2" welded wire j-clipped to the first layer! Welded wire is a bit of a hassle, but it is relatively inexpensive additional protection.

The wire floor has already thwarted two dig in attempts in as many weeks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom