Finally got some eggs

ksi911

Hatching
Jun 11, 2018
Good afternoon,
So we finally got two eggs yesterday after 20 weeks. I have two questions.(3 golden comets and 4 barred rocks).
1. the eggs were a bit on the small size. will they get larger as we move along?
2. Our birds free range. Yesterday both eggs were in the hutch like they should be. Today so far there's only one. I know which ever bird is laying that one she returned to the hutch after being out this morning and laid. no second egg yet. Should i keep them in the coop for a couple of days to make sure they lay where they are supposed to?

Eggs are usually small when the hen first starts laying. They get bigger with time.
I usually keep mine in the coop for the first couple of weeks of laying just so I don't have to worry/wonder if they are laying elsewhere. Of course even then I have had hens who have been laying in the nest boxes for months all of a sudden start laying somewhere outside the coop. Probably lots of reason for this, but I think they tend to lay where they feel it is "safe" to lay.
Congratulations on your first eggs!! :woot:ya

CJ

Congratulations on the eggs!
They get bigger with time.
It sounds like your girls know where they are supposed to lay. You will not necessarily get an egg a day from them when they start laying. The frequency a chicken lays is breed and individual dependent.
Mine do not lay a the same times from day to day. Some lay pre-dawn. The same chicken will get caught in the nest box at dusk several eggs later.

hello @ksi911 ! welcome to BYC :frow Yes the eggs will get bigger, and laying will become more regular as their systems get into the swing of it. Meantime you may get irregular laying, soft shells, and sundry other teething troubles. But I wouldn't lock them in - they've used the nesting boxes so I'd just be patient and wait for the next delicious eggs :celebrate

313E89F9-1669-4865-A0F1-61526AA92088.gif
Welcome to BYC! Congrats on the eggs doing fine! Where are you located? Also the eggs you will find varies as everyone has reviewed pullet eggs start small and may get bigger after the plumbing is in full swing. If your in an area that daylight hours have diminished less than 14 hours per day then you may or may not get eggs as egg laying falls off in the winter due to molting and diminishing daylight hours.

View attachment 1606251Welcome to BYC! Congrats on the eggs doing fine! Where are you located? Also the eggs you will find varies as everyone has reviewed pullet eggs start small and may get bigger after the plumbing is in full swing. If your in an area that daylight hours have diminished less than 14 hours per day then you may or may not get eggs as egg laying falls off in the winter due to molting and diminishing daylight hours.
Hi were in South Florida.

Back
Top Bottom