Finally have a broody, but I can't let her hatch now! Pic added

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
I finally have a broody hen!
celebrate.gif
But, with winter coming up and just life in general this time of year, we don't want her to hatch right now.
sad.png
So, now I need to break her broodiness and hope she'll go broody again in the spring!
fl.gif

4038210707_0974b5eb40.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, she's a beauty!

I agree that you should put her in a wire bottomed cage with no bedding. It usually takes between 2 days and 1 week to break my broodies. Depending on the particular hen, and how often my husband feels sorry for them and lets them out.
wink.png

You can expect her to go broody again. Mine generally start up in March. I'm sure that varies by hen, and by location. If she tries to brood again before it's convenient for you, just put her back in the cage. It won't break her from brooding permanently. If there was a way to do that, I would have already tried it!

I have a hen named Zipfi who goes in and out of broodiness. I find that getting the eggs out fast helps. Fortunately when I do that she eats well and maybe some day she'll hatch a clutch for me! Your hens is beautiful and I hope she will keep eating, in which case the broodiness is less of a problem.

I find Zipfi keeps a bare patch by self-plucking between her legs, she's optimistic!
lol.png

Last edited:
Unless someone near me wants chicks, I'm gonna break her. I have wanted a broody for a couple years, but with EEs and BRs it wasn't gonna happen. Finally I got one, but it's gonna be winter!
barnie.gif
I will break her most likely and hope she goes broody in the spring. She's a sweety!! She'll growl at me once or twice, then I can pet her and grab eggs from her ('course she steals more from other nests
roll.png
). She's got the personality to be a good mama! Just bad timing!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom