Finally... I am getting chickens!

The birdies are here! Here's a pic of them checking out their new home...

Here's one of the Buff, she came with a present as she laid an egg in her box during the drive!

I'll grab a shot of each bird and post them later. They seem to be adjusting pretty well to their new home and are busily scratching around in all the litter. I threw some scratch and dried mealworms in there to keep them occupied, when I go in to check on them I'll bring more treats.
After reading the re-homing articles I will keep them in the coop for at least a week. Its going seem like forever until I can let them play outside!

I thought the names the previous owner used were cute so am sticking with them...

Here is Pretty Girl...

Biggie

Fly...

She is on the left, Biggie on the right

Pretty Girl and Fly laid eggs for me within an hour of being here! I think that means they approve of the coop???
celebrate.gif
Cutie laid an egg in her box during the drive over.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the marans' eggs (Biggie and Shy) tomorrow. Apparently one of them laid this morning before the drive.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade of glee at the eggs, just want to open your mind to the possibility they may stop laying for a bit. Changes of location can set them off laying... The eggs you got were already "in the shoot," so to speak. It takes about 26 hours for each egg to be built.
, with the last 19 hours dedicated to creating the shell.

NICE instant flock! Delaware, two Black Australorps, an Easter Egger, and a Buff Orpington, right?

I know Santa Cruz quite well.... "CraigsList sticker shock" :lol:

Thanks Gryeyes for the heads up about the egg production.

I was told that the two black ones are marans... but frankly I wouldn't know how to tell the difference. I did a quick google search of astralorps and black copper marans - both look the same to me.
idunno.gif
I am guessing that the egg color should tell me which one I have since the marans should lay a darker brown egg?
The other hens you and the previous owner are in agreement on.
Btw I love your signature... "I refuse to fight a battle of wits with an unarmed person" - fantastic!
thumbsup.gif

And it seems strange to me that everyone wants $20 for a laying hen around here! I wonder if its just a local thing or maybe I'm being unrealistic (or both?!?!?!)

So the girls have been here a week now and I started letting them out for some playtime. They were so happy to run and scratch around! I discovered their favorite treat seems to be dried mealworms. They are disgusting but the birds go crazy for them.

Here's a shot of them dustbathing...

And scratching for yummy bugs...

And their eggs, one from each girl...

I was told that the two black birds were marans but I'm not so sure... I thought the eggs would be darker. Gryeyes thought they were Australorps, maybe they are???
hu.gif

I forgot to add two things...
The girls have laid 3 - 4 eggs daily for me over the past week.
D.gif
I love LOVE the fresh eggs! The yolks are so crazy dark yellow/orange that it makes the store-bought eggs just look sickly!
I've also brought out my incubator and plugged it in as I'm getting ready to incubate my first batch of fertile eggs.
yippiechickie.gif
I have really wanted blue eggs so I'm going to get some ameraucana eggs from a breeder by San Jose. My plan is to have about 12 birds total - all hens. I figure I'll keep 4 or so of the birds from this first hatch (plus of course the 5 adopted hens) and maybe get a couple more marans and a welsummer for dark eggs. My goal is to have a nice variety of colors.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom