1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Finally joined!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lorikae, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Lorikae

Lorikae Hatching

Nov 29, 2010
    Hello everyone,
    I've been a lurker on these forums for quite some time now. I finally decided to join - there is so much wonderful information and experience on here!

My husband and I recently adopted 7 rescue laying hens from some pretty terrible conditions. We're headed into winter, and most of them are missing at least 40% of their feathers, and some have wounds. They were in extremely confined conditions, no coop, no place to scratch...but now they have a huge area around our compost pile and a fortress of a coop that my husband and I built a few weeks ago. They seem much happier. We have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 3 araucanas, and 2 plymouth rocks (I think).

My husband and I are not new to backyard chickens. We moved here to New Mexico from the midwest where many of our friends were farmers, or simply people keeping backyard chickens - the local-food movement is alive and strong in place like Urbana, IL. We used to help out a lot with care of their hens while they were away. Here in New Mexico, however, our city council is mostly against the keeping of backyard chickens. My husband and I are squeaking by under the law because we live literally 2 houses outside the city limits, and we have over 1/2 acre of land. We've also always been on good terms with all of our neighbors who don't mind the chickens at all. There is a group called "Cluck" who is working on city council to change the laws and allow backyard hens, within reason.

I've noticed a lot of people list their other pets in addition to their chickens: my husband and I also have 2 dogs...and a resident gopher snake.

We're excited to finally be joining the BYC list now that we've got some girls of our own! Such a great wealth of go-to information!

Cheers to you all,
    Lorikae

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] from San Diego! Post some pics of your coop and birds when you get a chance. We love to see what others are up to!!

Make sure you have your coop and run not only secured against predators, but your gopher snake will make a meal out of your eggs and any future chicks!! I like my resident snakes, I just don't want to catch one by surprise in my coop!

You'll have fun with your chickens and find this to be a great resource for you. It's also a fun place to talk chicken smack and no one things you're odd [​IMG]

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC!
    ...it's all fun from here on out! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Good of you to take them in

Imp

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG] from Syracuse, NY. you got any chocolate? [​IMG]

7. eggchel

eggchel Crowing Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hi Lorikae, welcome to backyardchickens!

Chel

8. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by