Finally joined!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lorikae, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Lorikae

Lorikae New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Hello everyone,
    I've been a lurker on these forums for quite some time now. I finally decided to join - there is so much wonderful information and experience on here!

My husband and I recently adopted 7 rescue laying hens from some pretty terrible conditions. We're headed into winter, and most of them are missing at least 40% of their feathers, and some have wounds. They were in extremely confined conditions, no coop, no place to scratch...but now they have a huge area around our compost pile and a fortress of a coop that my husband and I built a few weeks ago. They seem much happier. We have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 3 araucanas, and 2 plymouth rocks (I think).

My husband and I are not new to backyard chickens. We moved here to New Mexico from the midwest where many of our friends were farmers, or simply people keeping backyard chickens - the local-food movement is alive and strong in place like Urbana, IL. We used to help out a lot with care of their hens while they were away. Here in New Mexico, however, our city council is mostly against the keeping of backyard chickens. My husband and I are squeaking by under the law because we live literally 2 houses outside the city limits, and we have over 1/2 acre of land. We've also always been on good terms with all of our neighbors who don't mind the chickens at all. There is a group called "Cluck" who is working on city council to change the laws and allow backyard hens, within reason.

I've noticed a lot of people list their other pets in addition to their chickens: my husband and I also have 2 dogs...and a resident gopher snake.

We're excited to finally be joining the BYC list now that we've got some girls of our own! Such a great wealth of go-to information!

Cheers to you all,
    Lorikae

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] from San Diego! Post some pics of your coop and birds when you get a chance. We love to see what others are up to!!

Make sure you have your coop and run not only secured against predators, but your gopher snake will make a meal out of your eggs and any future chicks!! I like my resident snakes, I just don't want to catch one by surprise in my coop!

You'll have fun with your chickens and find this to be a great resource for you. It's also a fun place to talk chicken smack and no one things you're odd [​IMG]

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC!
    ...it's all fun from here on out! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Good of you to take them in

Imp

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG] from Syracuse, NY. you got any chocolate? [​IMG]

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hi Lorikae, welcome to backyardchickens!

Chel

8. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by