Finally laying, but….

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
My Pullet finally laid her first egg, however, she has now laid two and they are on the floor of the coop. She is one of my two younger ones and has been picked on quite a bit by one or two of the older ones. I did see her go in the nesting box briefly, but did not lay her egg in there. Could she be nervous about being stuck in there when the big girls come in, or is this normal and she will come around?

Yes it's normal and it's more like the other girls will come around to the idea of her being an egg laying member of the flock and will leave her be. She will find a more quiet time when the other girls are busy elsewhere to use the boxes.
My little girls had to learn the hard way trying to get in a box with a Leghorn in it. NOT a good idea.

Yes it's normal and it's more like the other girls will come around to the idea of her being an egg laying member of the flock and will leave her be. She will find a more quiet time when the other girls are busy elsewhere to use the boxes.
My little girls had to learn the hard way trying to get in a box with a Leghorn in it. NOT a good idea.
:eek:I’ll bet!

:eek:I’ll bet!
Just curious, do your younger ones speed past the bigger ones to keep their distance? Mine do this and I am hoping they will eventually calm down.

Yes, they do speed past to get away from the older ones. Something else that helps is roosting areas. Lots of options. A lot of times one being chased can hop up and get out of the line of sight of the chaser and that will slow or stop the chase.
My run is also L shaped so if they can dart around the corner the chase stops too.

Back
Top Bottom