finally laying eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rachele anne, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    my duck just started laying eggs 2 weeks ago and I've been taking her eggs from her because they were smaller then a normal duck egg and they're starting to get bigger now so I was wondering if I should leave them in there if she go broody or not I want her to hatch some ducklings

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Obviously you need a drake to hatch ducks, you probably have one. Did you see her and a drake mate? If not crack one of the eggs open and see if there is a bullseye, (google it if you don't know what it is) This means the eggs are fertile. What type of duck is she? What breed?

3. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    How old is your duck. If she is young then she just started laying and the first eggs (same with chickens) are smaller, they get bigger/larger after a while.

4. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    She's a ancona and I have a few drakes that she has definitely mated with she just started laying eggs and I think she's about 6 months old

5. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    Her eggs are the size of jumbo chicken eggs from the store

6. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Most duck eggs are almost a jumbo chicken egg. Because their eggs are bigger than chicken eggs. Sometimes ducks lay on there eggs, heres what you do. Let her lay on them for a day or so. If she gets up to eat or stretch her legs then she goes back to her eggs are soon as she is done stretching (or whatever) this means she is trying to hatch them. But if she gets off them and does her daily stuff and leaves them for a while, bring them in and put them in an incubator. [​IMG]

7. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    She only goes in her nest to lay her egg then leaves

8. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    If your planning on babies put them in an incubator. She isn't trying to hatch babies. They will die if they stay out there any longer!

9. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    I've been taking them to eat so if I let her lay a few and keep them could she go broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by