Finally! My first eggs!

Jay13

Songster
13 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Central NC
In Jan, I brought home my first batch of chickens supposed to be around 12 weeks oldish back then. The guys have been having a crowing competition at 5am lately which I took to be a good sign but wasn't sure if the chickens even knew what the nesting boxes were for or if I was going to need to start combing their range for nests. I hadn't checked for a day or so but tonight I went out and found these!
18812_eggs.jpg

they were very cold, its been in the 40s for highs and lows the last few days, and they can't be more than a day or so old. I guess they finally decided that it was "time." (I was beginning to wonder)

Oddly enough even though I wound up with what I think are 4 or 5 roos (judging by coloration and formation of spurs) the fighting has stopped completely even though there are only 18 birds total! I really am not looking forward to dispatching the other boys.... but I wonder, does anyone else here have more than one roo and have them get along ok? or will there be trouble later when the mating begins?

Back
Top Bottom