Finally! Pics of my "coop" errr nesting boxes need remodeling advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by julnjake, Aug 22, 2011.

1. julnjake

julnjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Our original plan was to fill in the bottom and build out on the front (the sides with the doors that swing down being the front) about 4-6' and putting roosts on the new front wall with space to walk between the roosting side and the nesting boxes. However I've since learned the nesting boxes shouldn't be that high. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Are you still going to have it elevated off the ground or are you enclosing the structure more like a walk in coop?
    If it were mine I would enclose the lower portion and expand as you have planned. I would also make nesting boxes that protrude so that even if I have my non coop shoes on I can still get the eggies. A 1x4 across the front of the nest boxes will help keep eggs from rolling out or getting knocked out as well.
    Nice start on a sturdy coop.

Looks like you have several "inspectors" there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. julnjake

julnjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Enclosing the structure for a walk in. And lowering or completely redoing the nesting boxes I think since they shouldn't be higher than the roosts...??? We inherited this coop with the birds, they were abandoned and we took 2 trucks and gathered up 20 birds and their coop and relocated them to our house. The ladies were getting ready for bed [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Looks great!! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Tricky eh? We have the exact same size coop. Long and skinny. Mine is 9ft. x 2ft. and the same height off the ground.

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Looks like the chickens enjoy it. Do you need a ladder to collect the eggs? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by