Finally put themselves to bed!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UrbanFarmerGirl, Jul 31, 2011.

1. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    Woohoo! For months I have been going out every night and collecting the four pullets (2 near point of lay, 2 only 12 wks or so) from perches in the run and moving them in with the big girls. We are leaving for vacation in a week, and I was getting so worried that they weren't going to work out how to "put themselves to bed" in the safe, dark coop. Occasionally one would make it up, but the others would be outside. Tonight I went out and thought something had eaten them, but I opened up the coop door and the big and medium and little chickens were all snuggled together- everyone safe and accounted for. Not sure if my neighbors using the sprinkler spooked them into going up, or if all of the repetition night after night finally paid off. I'm so happy. I cannot explain my excitement and relief! Just had to share!

2. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Hooray!!! That is always a great day when they finally figure it all out!!! Shut the door, blow kisses and it's off to relax, not starting the ever-popular Chicken Round-Up!

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Always good news! [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That IS good news! [​IMG]

5. katchley7595

katchley7595 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    i have 12 11 week old silkies they have been in coop for about 3 weeks,they will not get in coop until i turn on their lite they pile in the corner and look at the lite.when i turn it on they have a bal catching bugs takes 30 min or more for them to calm down and go to bed.think they wait for bedtime snack?[​IMG]

6. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    Tonight they were back out. I realized the night they went in was when our neighbor's sprinkler was on- I think it scared them. I am going to try setting our sprinklers for ten minutes before sundown and see if that helps.

7. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a similar problem, but they all got the idea eventually. These days my little Poland bantam likes to have a lie-in every morning and is always the last to leave the coop in the morning.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by