Finally saw it all up close and personal!!!

coffeenutdesign

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Texas
For all the many collective years I have kept chickens, both in childhood and adulthood, I have never actually SEEN the egg being laid. I have gotten them warm still with wet spots immediately after the fact, but I usually don't bother then when they are in the nesting boxes. Today, I was outside goofing off and the flock was naturally following me around looking for treats since bugs are scarce these days. So, I threw some scratch out for them to pick at and then went to go check the boxes for more eggs. One girl was in the box bum side out, so I squatted down to watch. About 2 seconds later, out plopped a wet drippy egg "straight off the chicken's butt" lol. I wish I would've taken my phone out to video it
roll.png
So, even after having lots of chickens at lots of different times in my life, I am still seeing and learning new things all the time. They never cease to entertain. As Jase on Duck Dynasty says, "chickens make me happy!"

My mom was visiting recently and witnessed a laying of an egg. She didnt know they kinda stand up a bit then squat and "plop one out" LOL I think she assumed they lay down and do it. Silly. She also thought they came out soft and then hardened as they cooled, and wouldnt believe me for years untill she saw it for herself! I'm glad I am able to help educate her .LOL.
D.gif

How fun for your mom. I just can't believe that in all the time I have owned chickens I never even bothered to try watching an egg being laid. I'm kind of impatient. If this girl had taken more than 2 seconds, I probably would have gotten bored and left...or thought I was invading her privacy and giving her performance anxiety, lol.

I was surprised by the extra liquid on the fluffy butt feathers. It was a lot drippier than I would have thought. That egg definitely had a good bloom coating!

I've seen my hens lay eggs many times and I loved it! The way they squat and make this strange wheezy sound (push, push, push LOL) and still manage to give you the stink eye at the same time
lol.png
It is quite a wet process, yes, but I suppose they need the lubricant to get the egg out easily.

Do your chickens make noise after they lay? Our neighbors hens always sound like they're celebrating after they lay an egg. The whole flock goes wild, clucking and squeaking.

Hmmm...My hens haven't laid yet, but I did notice the other day that there was some white stuff on one of my girls bums...looked like it had dried as some of the feathers by her vent were stuck together....

Now I wonder if they're laying....just not in the coop.

Ugh, guess I'm going to have to go scan the yard for eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom