Finally showed

Tonyroo

Free Ranging
Mar 29, 2020
N. California
This evening I was lounging around with my chickens, then my Wyandotte screeched for a minute and all the chicken went in alert mode.

I looked around and saw a blue jay flying around. The Jay landed on the ground and a small woodland bobcat pounced on it from the hillside. It looked like the size of a large house cat.

Now I know for sure who nabbed all my chicks. Of course I followed it, but lost it in the brush. I was gonna take picture of it.

I lost a total of 17 chicks of varying ages to that cat.

You are correct. It is illegal in California just since January 1st 2020

They are legal to kill here all year long and with no bag limits

Does not leave you with a whole lot options

I forgot how quiet they are when there walking around in the brush.
When a friend of mine and I split an order of chicks I tried to get him to build his chickens a coop and run or a chicken tractor to protect them but couldn't persuade him. (He brought me some pallets to make one myself) Last week a Bob cat killed all of his hens and his rooster was maimed but survived. I just got mine finished.I hope you have a safe place for yours because once they find them they return.

This evening I was lounging around with my chickens, then my Wyandotte screeched for a minute and all the chicken went in alert mode.

I looked around and saw a blue jay flying around. The Jay landed on the ground and a small woodland bobcat pounced on it from the hillside. It looked like the size of a large house cat.

Now I know for sure who nabbed all my chicks. Of course I followed it, but lost it in the brush. I was gonna take picture of it.

I lost a total of 17 chicks of varying ages to that cat.
I've heard hunters tell stories of how elusive they are when pursued and hunted.Without a dog you'd never find it.

I had one that killed 14 birds. It made the mistake of coming back and I eliminated it. I have seen others since but none have bothered my birds but I do have electric wires around my coops and pens. Can you SSS? It will keep coming back looking for an oportunity. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom