finally the new coop is up! New Pics !

nightshade

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Jonestown Pa , Columbia County
Well it has only taken two years in May to get the coop at the new farm from walls laying on the ground to standing and chickens in side. It is still far from done but I was more then happy just to be able to put birds in it by mothers day. It still needs painted and I plan on fencing in alot more of the woods for them with the 8x8 fence squares that I have been building out of fruit tree rings as I put more and more of the orchard fence up. Anyway here are a few pics (not so good ones I realize now that they are on the computer) that I have taken the past few weeks. I figure I have well under $500 in it so far with the biggest expense in one thing so far being the $100 of skylight panels in the roof of the covered run. The frame was built out of 4x14 oak pallets and landscape timbers to stiffen them up making the walls in panels that just needed stood up and bolted together. They are crazy heavy taking two guys to lift them into place and a third to bolt them together. The trusses for the coop are 90% recycled as well as the out side sheeting. The run is all new lumber with landscape timber posts all bought on sale for $2 each and 2x4 and 2x6 and 2x10s for the rest of the framing. The roof sheeting which was also 90% recycled from the replacement of our house roof. I have $61 in the shingles and roofing paper for the whole thing and have a pallet of shingles left over from that purchase to roof our hay shed with. All the fencing was free given to me as tree rings for my fruit trees and reused for the run as I put 6 ft fence around my entire orchard because the rings just are not enough to keep the deer out of the trees. I have about $30 bucks in the duck pond ($1 in the actual corner tub and the rest in plumbing and piping.

Anyways I hope to get some more photos over the weekend since these ones are from a month or more ago when we just got the roof on. And as I add more of the little details and get the outside painted. I still have a lot of landscaping to do around the outside and to move the grass box out from under the roost and replant it, because the killed the grass already by smothering it (my bad).

Here are the dimensions : 8x14 8ft high for the actual coop which has a concrete floor, 8x4 roost area with a storage area closed in over it. This is where I keep my extra waters. feeders and my chicken crates. There is an 8x12 covered porch on the front of it so that I can store my feed freezer and garden tools in out of the weather. On the back of the coop is a 16x16 7ft high covered run with 4 skylight panels, a 3x8 grass box and a duck pond that takes up roughly a 6x8 area. This 6x8 area is made up for by a 8x8 4ft high run addition off the back that has no roof cover just wire. This wire area I am going to continue to expand to fill my area I have available for it as I get more fencing and extra landscape timbers and lumber.

931_100_1405.jpg

from the front as we finished up

931_100_1406.jpg

you can kind of see the run put the back from here

931_100_1407.jpg

my son's construction crew back filling the drain line

931_100_1439.jpg

one of the pekin hens lounging on the pond wall

931_100_1441.jpg

hubby cutting out one of the windows, it is a miracle that any of it fit together since he cuts everything and I mean everything with the chain saw
hmm.png

Last edited:
Thanks all! here are some more pics I took over the weekend still no paint up though.

931_100_1485.jpg

what you see from the driveway

931_100_1486.jpg

the porch / tool shed

931_100_1491.jpg

Inside storage loft over the roosts

931_100_1492.jpg

roosts and laying boxes

931_100_1495.jpg

feeding area and grass box

931_100_1502.jpg

what you see from hubby's dog kennels

931_100_1487.jpg

931_100_1489.jpg

931_100_1488.jpg

what you see from picnic area where I like to have my morning coffee and my afternoon nap lol

I am not really happy about the white paint because everything shows up so bad. It really lightened it up inside which is a good thing but I am really unhappy with how dingy it looked so quickly. We will see what happens I guess.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom