Finally took the plunge

yotetrapper

Crowing
14 Years
May 3, 2007
North Central MS
Bought 15 cornish broilers from the farm store today. Right now they're alternately eating and sleeping lol. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along, since these are my first cornish, but the only one I have right now is when do I switch from chick food to meatbird food?

Thanks,
Angela

You may want to give them some type of broiler booster in there water. They grow at such a fast rate, they could use a little help building their legs. Good luck

I will get mine in a week ... where are you keeping you chicks right now and how are they doing....I have my tractor built but the brooder is still not ready. I want to keep them in the kitchen if only for a week or two just so the wife and I can enjoy them but everyone says they stink. What do you think... and best of luck...where did you get them and lets see some pictures when they get bigger

I got them from a local farm store. They originally came from Welp hatchery. I have them in the house at the moment. I hear they stink bad too, and they DO poop a lot, but so far no smell. I dont plan on them being in here for more than a week though. Then they will go out in an unheated building with their brooder light.

Still wondering when to switch from chick starter to meatbird food.

Lordy... I only have 2... thank goodness as they are with my other chicks... they poop bigger poops than my adult birds!
ep.gif
LOL They're 4-5 weeks old now I think. HUGE monster birds! LOL The other chicks keep trying to get on and under them thinking they are hens!
lau.gif

Just keep the cage clean, and they won't stink that bad. lol
And they do grow fast. i bought one with some other chicks once, and it grew so fast, it did become their mother, sat on them every night and they all kept each other warm!

I never give mine chick starter- just broiler feed all the way through. As for keeping them indoors, if you're planning on putting them out anyway, do it now- for the first few days there isn't much smell, but after that, it's a horrible ammonia smell and it will stick in your house even after the birds are gone. Don't worry too much about them getting cold outside- I put mine out with a heat lamp in the barn/in a brooder from day one, and we have below freezing temps at night right now. Meat birds don't need careful temperature monitering like layers.

Back
Top Bottom