Finding a rooster who won’t harass and scratch up the hens

juniperz

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2017
I have tried several roosters over the past few years, both raising them with the girls (surprise roosters) as well as getting a couple of slightly older ones and adding them into the flock. All of them except one have ended up destroying feathers and scratching up backs on my hens. I’d love to keep a rooster because they’re so beautiful, and I’ve had a few that did a good job of pointing out food and protecting their girls. The one that didn’t hurt the hens was already old when I got him, and he was amazing. But I haven’t had any such luck since then. Do I have to accept mangled feathers and scratched backs, or is there hope? How do I find a GOOD rooster? (The number of hens has varied from 8-20, so it’s not like the boys don’t have enough options.

PS I got some hen saddles at one point but I would have to cover too many hens, and it’s too hot here for them to be safe.

Photo is of my current surprise roo, a buff orpington, who has already started baring skin on the small splash hamburg hen.

Attachments

• 9336DE4C-C222-43BC-A17F-527851238751.jpeg
    9336DE4C-C222-43BC-A17F-527851238751.jpeg
    990.9 KB · Views: 23
A lighter breed is a great idea! Would a bantam be too small? I know they’re often sold straight run so it would probably be easy to find an available roo.
I have a bantam roo, and I think his size causes more damage because he has to bite and claw to stay on the hen. His 2 fave hens have bald spots on the backs of their necks and 2 of my others have comb damage. Another has areas on her wings that have broken feathers because that's where his spurs hit.

Imo a smaller standard sized roo might be better.

In my experience the lighter weight roosters have caused less wear and tear on the hens. Smaller Mediterranean breeds or game fowl roosters. I particularly like game fowl roosters because they are generally not human aggressive. The drawback is that they are extremely rooster aggressive and any sons will end up fighting.

In my experience the lighter weight roosters have caused less wear and tear on the hens. Smaller Mediterranean breeds or game fowl roosters. I particularly like game fowl roosters because they are generally not human aggressive. The drawback is that they are extremely rooster aggressive and any sons will end up fighting.
I agree! Weight makes a huge difference My friends wanting to get a Jersey Giant for his flock of Dominiques .That won't end well.

Also usually works out better raising a younger male with older hens.
They tend to knock knots on him before he gets completely mature so by the time he does he has learned some manners.

Interesting, that's the opposite experience of the first few posters!

Sadly this has never prevented the problem in my flock.

My smallest roo (Mortimer, an accidental fellow) is an excellent rooster, but it is painful watching him try to mate anything bigger than a leghorn. He's not a bad guy, actually he's very nice. The problem comes when he can't .... reach and pulls on the back of the head/neck while he persists. Yep. The more difficult it is for them to manage the deed, the harder it can be on the girls, because of course they've got their ... job ... to do and will continue until they've succeeded.

Despite his size issue and horrendous crow, he means no harm to the hens (or people) and does a marvelous job keeping everyone in line - training my younger roos and keeping them on a short leash. All a hen has to do is make the tiniest protest and he will magically appear, knocking the offender- who may be twice his size- right off.

And really so much just comes down to the particular rooster. On the opposite edge of the spectrum - I had my old fella in with just 3 females (too many related females in the main flock) and though he mated them regularly and was in excess of 10lbs, not one of the 3 ever had a feather out of place.

Also - Sometimes the hens just don't have the best feathers and will show a lot more wear under identical circumstances. Those are the ones that get the hen saddles.

A lighter breed is a great idea! Would a bantam be too small? I know they’re often sold straight run so it would probably be easy to find an available roo.

I have a bantam roo, and I think his size causes more damage because he has to bite and claw to stay on the hen. His 2 fave hens have bald spots on the backs of their necks and 2 of my others have comb damage. Another has areas on her wings that have broken feathers because that's where his spurs hit.

Imo a smaller standard sized roo might be better.
Oh interesting! Thank you for sharing you experience.

I agree! Weight makes a huge difference My friends wanting to get a Jersey Giant for his flock of Dominiques .That won't end well.
😯 Oh dear!

Bigger roosters do cause less damage even if the hens are small.
My big guy has zero feather damage on his hens which range in size from as big as himself to nearly bantam.
My smaller guy Jerry is opposite because he has to do more feet work just to do the deed.
He is improving his technique as he ages which is great because that is his only flaw.
The big guy Prince is a Faverolles, a gentle giant and Jerry is a mix of Faverolles and some kind of weird bantam mix that jumped the fence.

Back
Top Bottom