Finding an Accurate Thermometer and/or Hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spoggy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Hey everybody! All right...how accurate is accurate enough? I've come across a few posts here talking about thermometers and hygrometers, but how accurate do you have to be? I know we're all trying to hold 99.5 in forced air incubators, but if a thermometer only holds plus or minus 1.8 degrees on average, that means incubation temperatures can be between 97.7 to 101.3. How do you know? And don't get me started on hygrometers, they generally run plus or minus 5%! There's always the scientific instrument route, if you have an extra $500 to $2500 lying around. What is the best, most economical solution? What are you using, and are you satisfied?

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    brinsea spot check thermometer. around 30.00 with extra batterys. most accurate for the money. 0.3 degrees i think.

3. chiknranchr

chiknranchr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Il
    I had the same trouble with my thermometers ,the best advice is to constantly record your temps. and see the outcome of your hatch ,if they hatch early temp. is to high , late temp is too low and the best thing to use to double check the accuracy of your thermometers is to use a digital fever thermometer ,which is usually accurate to .02-.05 degrees F.It is usually better to run a bit cooler than hotter . Again practice makes perfect and after a few hatches you will be able to determine exactly which temperature you should run on your thermometers,good luck and happy hatching!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

An accurate thermometer is as close as your medicine cabinet. I $3 medical thermometer is the most accurate thermometer you can get for the money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by