Finding egg customers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krispyrice1230, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Krispyrice1230

Krispyrice1230 New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    How do you find people wanting to buy eggs from you? I honestly have no clue. LOL

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    just start casually mentioning (to those in your sphere of influence) you're into chickens and getting your own eggs from them... I find most people are interested and then ask what you do with the extras... mine won't lay for 6 months (they're only a week old) and I already have 2 customers lined up and saving their egg cartons. hope this helps

3. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I put a mini fridge on my front porch with a locked cash box (mounted to the house) and a "Farm Fresh Eggs" sign on the front lawn. Never have a problem selling, just a problem running out. [​IMG]

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    There are many things you can try. Put a sign out front of your house,mention it to co-workers( my wife sells about 6-10 doz a month at her work). Stop by your local farmers market talk to the vendors and ask the if they sell eggs,if they do they are often looking for more suppliers. If you cant find one that does see if they will sell yours for you. Most farmers markets ,vendors pay a fee to be there and always looking to sell more. This is another way I sell eggs,the woman that buys them from me usually once a month and takes between 6-15 dozen if I have that many. I get $3 a dozen and she sells them for$4.50 which is fine by me. Make up business cards and leave them in different places,often pizza parlors, hardware stores and anywhere that has a pin board for business cards.[​IMG]

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I got a little interest with an ad on craigslist but I sold the most eggs to people at my hubby's work.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I put an ad on craigslist and have more customers than eggs now.

7. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Where I live there are dozens of people selling eggs. some have a table and a tin can $4.50... some have a cooler and a jar $3.50. Others have a bell and they come out these ones are $4.00. I say put a sign out and charge whatever you want but people will pay up to $5.00 for fresh eggs from happy chickens. You could also mention it at work. Or Put up a note on the bulletin board.
    Good luck.

8. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    around here the feed stores sell eggs for those of who dont want to, and they sell em (retail) for $2.50 a dozen. i dont sell mine to the feed stores, but have NEVER had a problem finding buyers, but with all the competition, two-fitty is bout all ur gonna get. I certainly didnt get into this for the money, but once word gets around your circle of friends, i doubt youll have any trouble selling all you have. I also freebie a dozen a week to keep my next door neighbor happy. Funny, with a steady supply of free eggs, no one complains about Rocky crowing at 5:30AM [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by