Finding out what chickens are at the top of the pecking order and which ones are not!

Did you try this?

• No...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am going to!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I did it, thanks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gabrielle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Alright everybody, I really wanted to share this because I thought it could be useful and it's something to do if you really want to know. So I have figured out how to find the 'leader' chicken. Basically, there is one chicken in your flock that can boss anyone around and they will do anything if it means not getting pecked at by the leader chicken. And of course, there is that chicken that always get's pecked at, for being annoying or just flat out, a horrible flock member!

Okay so it's simple. One day I was picking up a chicken, and I put it infront of another chicken. The 'other chicken' got all defensive and decided to run at the chicken I was holding, for being in her face. Then I took my meanest chicken and I put it infront of all of the chickens, and they did not dare to attack her!

So I rounded up all my chickens and thought I would number it out...
So let's say I have 3 chickens. Heres a chart:
For this first part I will put the Hen 1 in front of hen 3 and hen 2, and see if they get mad at her for being in her face. I did this for the other chicken examples as well.
-----
Hen 1: Hen 3 (This means Hen 3 got mad for having this chicken stand up to her..)
Hen 2: Hen 3, Hen 1 (Both chickens got mad.)
Hen 3: None (Nobody messed with chicken 3.)
-----

SO my conclusion is that HEN 3 was the most dominate chicken, since nobody messed with her. ALSO HEN 2 was picked on by both of the chickens.

This is basically it, comment and tell me what you think. I figured this out and thought it could be a breakthrough for people wanting to see the boss chicken of the flock and who gets pushed around.

Thanks for veiwing, and comment if you'd like.

-Gabrielle

*ALSO HEN 2 was picked on by both of the chickens. (Meaning by this, is she is always bossed around, and at the bottom level of the flock.)

I have 6 hens. I don't know the in between order, but I do know the production red is the bully (feather eater and separated for it) and the EE is the one always getting pecked on. All I had to do was sit and watch them for a while. It becomes REALLY apparent when they are given a favorite treat. I'm pretty sure the Barred Rock has taken the production red's place as top dog. And the EE will swoop in and steal a piece of treat and run into the coop so she eat it without being attacked. I think she is actually becoming my favorite.
smile.png

Same with me! I have watched my chickens, over and over again. And I always see the same chickens get picked on. I did have a guess who was the most dominate one, but I was incorrect. After I did my test, she was one of the middle chickens (One who can be picked on, but not at the bottom of the pecking order.).

Thanks for your comment. :)

I never knew any over their positions in my flock. This is why I was so curious to find a way to know, whos who. I looked it up and everyone just says to watch them, like I did for a long time. I just recently figured this out, so if you are curious, try it out. :)

I actually figured out our 'tough' fearless leader of our flock. I know because she tends to peck at our orpington. We assumed as an orpington her body size would definitely warrant her the 'boss' status we were wrong. Silver is the one that usually hands out the pecking order. She tends to boss her sister Shadow too. But Shadow in turn can peck at Artemis the orpington. Serena who I assume is a buff leghorn might be wrong but she tends to defend sometimes her sister but probably steers clear of Silver. So yes I noticed Silver eats first then Shadow then Serena can have treats and Artemis is always last. Its interesting to see the interactions of the pecking order for yourself.

In our flock of four I'm pretty sure Captain is in fact the captain because she is the one that always sound the alarm. She will make this funny little call and the other three become statues then after a bit run for cover.

The bottom is the silkie. She just seems to be off in her own little world half the time.

We spend most mornings with them having a cuppa and just watching them and its quite easy just by watching them interact to work out who is above who. Could happily watch them all day lol

Back
Top Bottom