Finding out what kind of duck I have

Beau Claverie

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2017
Hello! My gf and I recently rescued a domestic duck from a park and we're wondering what kind he is... We know he's part black swedish, but he also has an interesting pattern under the belly, which you can't see in the picture here. He is full grown but really small (about the size of a female mallard). But here's the interesting part... we know he's a male from his curled up sex feathers, but he has a full blown quack like a female! I know that most drakes have a raspy low type of quack, but are there any breeds where the males quack ?? If I can get an answer to that then I think I will know what kind he is... But but he is a total enigma. I hope there is an expert out there who can give me some insight to this. Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_20170808_132216_346.jpg
    IMG_20170808_132216_346.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hello! My gf and I recently rescued a domestic duck from a park and we're wondering what kind he is... We know he's part black swedish, but he also has an interesting pattern under the belly, which you can't see in the picture here. He is full grown but really small (about the size of a female mallard). But here's the interesting part... we know he's a male from his curled up sex feathers, but he has a full blown quack like a female! I know that most drakes have a raspy low type of quack, but are there any breeds where the males quack ?? If I can get an answer to that then I think I will know what kind he is... But but he is a total enigma. I hope there is an expert out there who can give me some insight to this. Thank You!

I have heard of females getting a curl. I've never heard of a male getting a girls quack, but I suppose it may be possible. To me if she sounds how you say she does then it's probably a girl.

As far as breed she is likely mixed, and I always thought black sweedish were really the ones associated with a bib like that but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that's not true.

I've seen a Cayuga with similar patterns before minus the true bib. But then again someone just posted here the other day they got a black sweedish that came out white with black spots. So...im unsure lol. She is pretty tho :)

I have heard of females getting a curl. I've never heard of a male getting a girls quack, but I suppose it may be possible. To me if she sounds how you say she does then it's probably a girl.

As far as breed she is likely mixed, and I always thought black sweedish were really the ones associated with a bib like that but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that's not true.

I've seen a Cayuga with similar patterns before minus the true bib. But then again someone just posted here the other day they got a black sweedish that came out white with black spots. So...im unsure lol. She is pretty tho :)
We took it to the vet the day we rescued it, and the vet checked for the you know what and she said it was a male. But then again I'm not entirely sure she really checked... most of the time people turn the duck upside down and use both their thumbs to open it up, but she literally just reached under the belly and said it's a male. Makes me wonder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom