Finding Someone to Build a Coop

GAchickennewbie

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Northeast GA
Is there someone local to Flowery Branch GA who could build a 10 x 10 coop? Nothing fancy, just want my 5 girls to have plenty of room and room for new additions, which are bound to occur over the years as we all know.

With the days getting shorter, they won't be able to have their free-range time after I get home from work, but they'll still have it on the weekends.

If you know of who I could contact (trying to keep it in the $300 range tops if possible), please let me know.

Also, is this something a handyman could do?

If you have a basic floor and roof plan then a handyman would most likely be able to put it together for you. I doubt you'll find anyone who would touch this job for $300 even if you already had all the building materials sitting there and those materials if bought new will probably cost more than $300. This is not including the materials needed if you plan on attaching a secure run. I'm not sure you realize what an undertaking a 10'x10' coop really is.

My coop is a raised 6'x6' with some recycled materials and a 12'x12' fully enclosed run attached. It was built by me, the hubby and a friend for the cost of beer and munchies and it still cost me more than that when all was said and done.

If you have a basic floor and roof plan then a handyman would most likely be able to put it together for you. I doubt you'll find anyone who would touch this job for $300 even if you already had all the building materials sitting there and those materials if bought new will probably cost more than $300. This is not including the materials needed if you plan on attaching a secure run. I'm not sure you realize what an undertaking a 10'x10' coop really is.

My coop is a raised 6'x6' with some recycled materials and a 12'x12' fully enclosed run attached. It was built by me, the hubby and a friend for the cost of beer and munchies and it still cost me more than that when all was said and done.

Not really needing to do a "raised coop" or anything like that. Just an enclosed area to get away from the wind and chill with places to perch and nesting boxes. Was thinking 1/2 of it enclosed and the rest a covered run.

Our winters are normally pretty mild here, so it's more to make sure they have plenty of safe area to roam since they'll be losing their free-range time due to shorter days and my work schedule. If the temps drop to an insane level, the girls can come inside or stay in the garage.

For safety reasons, the girls only free-range when I'm home.

Have you looked on Craigslist? That's where I found the guy who's building mine (he sells a lot of premade coops there and takes custom orders).

Was he specifically listed as a person who makes coops or was he showing as a handyman?

OK, that's different. 10'x10' is to be both coop and run. Keep in mind that if only half of that is going to be run, then you won't have enough to add more chickens. The basic rule of thumb is 4 square feet minimum per chicken in the coop and 10 square feet minimum per chicken in the run.

I only have 5 hens, so I think I'll be good in regards to space if/when I add more. When we take the entire square footage, it's 100'. The way I understand it, the coop and run combined would need to be 10 square feet per hen. Even if we take your numbers and do 14 square feet per chicken, I could still safely add 2 more hens, although honestly, I don't plan on doing that until I only have 1/2 dozen eggs being laid weekly. I plan on keeping all my girls throughout their entitre lifespans, even when they are no longer laying.

They'll still have their free-range time on the weekends, weather permitting. I just want to make sure they have plenty of space to hang out when the weather doesn't permit and when I'm at work.

Looking for a coop builder in Los Angeles area. Will pay $800-1000. Would rather use a BYC person than someone from Craigslist. THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom