Finding someone to process

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Aug 7, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I'd like to process my own birds, but on the off chance that I get partway through and it's too much work, how do I find someone to process for me? Cris from Cripple Creek hatchery said he'd do it for me for $2/per if I didn't mind skinless and the breast boneless. That would be good for some, but for some I'd like to actually have the whole bird. Suggestions?

2. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    does he not want to do whole chickens? maybe if you offered him $3 a head, he'll give you whole?? that's what we pay, $3 a chicken.

otherwise, i'd ask the feedstore guy. maybe he'll know where other customers take theirs.

3. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    He doesn't have a plucker, so he slits the throat, peels off the feathers and skin in one swell foop, pops off the naked leg thigh quarters, then bones the breast, leaving the intestinal cavity intact. No risk of contamination. He's going to teach me how and I anticipate that I'll do MOST of my birds his way, but for a plain roasted chicken, I want whole with skin on.

4. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Feedstore's a good idea. I have to start thinking like a country person! LOL

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Call your extension office.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    All I can say is that I had to book a process date in advance. So find a processor, book a date, and if you do them yourself, just cancel your appt. but it is better to be prepared.

7. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    VERY good to know! Thank you!

Quote:

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    How many are you raising? My DH and I can easily do about 10-12 in a day, but we're stiff and slow. Lots of people do them faster. We keep them whole, skin on. There are a lot of tutorials online, with pics, some with videos. to show you how. Your first ones will be slow, but if you persevere you'll get faster. I can do one start to finish, by myself, in about 20 minutes. (That's when I get unexpectedly presented with a dead bird to process, and I just clear stuff out of the way and clean it in the kitchen sink)

When we have a planned butchering day, Del kills and plucks, hand off to me and I gut, clean, chill and package.
    Every time, the first 2 seem to take forever, then we get in the flow and it's faster.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Quote:I swear that should be your sigline [​IMG]

10. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Quote:I swear that should be your sigline [​IMG]

Sigline or not, it's great advice! I think those ag extension folks know EVERYTHING.

It makes me pout because I like to think I know everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by