Finished The Coop and Run Today

Someone asked for inside pics so here are a couple. The first is one of the two double laying boxes and the second is the right side roosting bar. The left side has an upper and lower bar. The wire is a welded 2 x 3 inch covered again by 1/2 inch hardware cloth. It’s hard to see the hardware cloth but it is there.

Attachments

• 5821C659-DDAE-48A6-84B1-ACAAC97DEE1E.jpeg
    5821C659-DDAE-48A6-84B1-ACAAC97DEE1E.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BFBCF3E6-20C1-4B84-BEE4-A6845DCAD3D5.jpeg
    BFBCF3E6-20C1-4B84-BEE4-A6845DCAD3D5.jpeg
    707 KB · Views: 11
If it gets below freezing and windy where you live, are you not worried it will get very cold for them in that coop? I live in the arctic, so obviously a very different climate, but I think I would be worried because it will get drafty when it's open under the roost. :)

Looks great!

Whats the ventilation like? Kind of hard to tell from the pics.
Plenty of ventilation from the top of the coop to the bottom.

Henfla, it freezes here on occasion but will often not get lower than the teens. Sometimes colder but not very often. I can lower the side curtains and it actually has heaters mounted up at roost bar level that are veterinarian heaters that will not cause a fire. They are heated plates that are fully encased with no heating elements exposed. The side curtains provide substantial protection for the coop regarding wind.

Plenty of ventilation from the top of the coop to the bottom.

Henfla, it freezes here on occasion but will often not get lower than the teens. Sometimes colder but not very often. I can lower the side curtains and it actually has heaters mounted up at roost bar level that are veterinarian heaters that will not cause a fire. They are heated plates that are fully encased with no heating elements exposed. The side curtains provide substantial protection for the coop regarding wind.

Except for young chicks or, perhaps sick birds, there should never be any need for heat in your climate -- which is the same as my climate.

Chickens are wearing built-in down parkas. :)

You might find this thread reassuring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/open-air-coop-in-the-snow.1508695/

Except for young chicks or, perhaps sick birds, there should never be any need for heat in your climate -- which is the same as my climate.

Chickens are wearing built-in down parkas. :)

You might find this thread reassuring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/open-air-coop-in-the-snow.1508695/
I agree with you. While I was at it, I just went ahead and tried to do everything I could think of. The heaters are for a time when there are chicks in the coop.
I get one or two drive by visitors a week wanting a coop two. Almost every home around here has a coop and run. So we tend to share info and ideas with each other. Visits are slowing down now. Everyone just wanted to see the finished coop and that is fine.

If it gets below freezing and windy where you live, are you not worried it will get very cold for them in that coop? I live in the arctic, so obviously a very different climate, but I think I would be worried because it will get drafty when it's open under the roost. :)
In a cold environment yes this would not be advisable, OP lives in an area with hot and very humid summers, so the extra ventilation around the roosts would be more of a benefit than detriment.

I live in a more moderate environment but my old coop was also open under the roosts, and even down to freezing the extra ventilation underneath wasn't a big issue, though we did cover up some of the open wire mesh in cooler temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom