Fire ants and chickens ???

Luckily I do not have fire ants in my yard. But they ARE here. We do have a mound of large red harvester ants though. We leave it alone because its the only ant the horned liuzard eats around here. I have how ever seen what they can do to smaller animals and if I did have fire ants in the yard you can bet I would be killing them off any way I could. Chickens would be put up and safe before though.

So I tried DE and it did very little...I dont like to put out many chemicals...dogs, chickens, and nieces/nephews so harsh chemicals are out.....Its mid 80s and raining every other day in Texas so it seems like the ants are having a field day!!! Is it too hot for nematodes work?

Don't mess around. Get rid of the ants. As someone else said, Amdro (or similar) is the only thing that you can count on because you have to get the queen. Amdro is relatively harmless to chickens. I can't remember just how harmless but we used to free-range the birds and after looking into it I decided it was OK. And I'm definitely not into poison if there is a way to avoid it.

Hi all. I just Googled "do chickens eat fire ants" (I'm a complete newbie.. getting ready to build my coop and get my first chickens), and found this thread. I skimmed through it, and saw some great suggestions, many of which sounded a bit like the "Texas two-step", developed by Texas A&M. I had found that info a few days ago when doing a search on how to get rid of fire ants. Having just purchased a home in Southern Florida, we found our yard has quite a few mounds. I'm surprised no one mentioned the two-step, so I thought I'd share what I found:

Texas A&M Imported Fire Ant Research and Management Project - This is the main page for the project, lots of great info
Texas A&M "Two-Step" Method - This is the specific page on the two-step method

It is not likely that the chickens will rid you of your fire ants. They may eat some but, the shear numbers would be overwhelming. Also, fire ants do not taste as good to animals as other ants. They have a very acrid taste apparently. In the event of a fire ant attack, your chickens would likely lose, especially if they are trapped in a coop with no escape. I would monitor the ant problem but, I would not deter from having chickens around them. I doubt many chickens fall to them. We have no fire ants here in Southeastern Ohio but, I am very familiar with them and their habits. Just be sure that you are not building the coop and run on top of active fire ant nests. If nests are present, use some type of extermination practice on them. Borax and sugar mixed together has rid me of many ants over the years without applying pesticides, not sure but, it may work on the fire ants also. Just keep it away from your chickens and other pets.

My neighbor lost a chicken that was a little weaker than the rest when it was attacked by fire ants. Borax and sugar doesn't work as these are not sweet eating ants. DE didn't seem to do the job, either. I think these things could survive a nuke attack.

I've used the Amdro-it does work-had lots of ants around last year-this year hardly any. Yayy! It was a bit pricey, but worth it.

fire ants are the nastiest ant you can come upon. Hope that your chickens are not dining on them as they will not last long if they do. Fire ants sting repeated times and they sting while in the stomach of any animals, fish included. I have had domesticated fire ants turning up under my chickens home which is large in small amounts, the other day I came upon a hole where they were coming up for whatever? I used granular Amdro, about a teaspoon (outside the cage and put a box over it so birds outside wouldn't eat the granules) and I poured skin so soft all around the soil. this oil is a wonderful mosquito repellant and ants hate it also but it's harmless to chickens and many other animals,it's smells strong but that is all.

If you disturb most fire ant nests or mounds gently, they will move out overnight. They'd rather protect the brood and the queen. They may only move a few yards but if you follow them, they'll go away eventually, Using Amdro Granular baiting for long term they take it to the nest and it kills off the colony. Every three months I recommend. I worked for the USDA against the infestation of Fir Ants in O.C. California. And now reside in Mohave, CA. The ants are everywhere! They don't like cold weather tho.

Hope this helps everyone.
celebrate.gif

I live in alabama and a fire ant mound are everywhere. The best thing I have found is a liquid that u mix with water .flood the mound and get rid of them all.ortho and raid makes a concentration that does extremely well.

Back
Top Bottom