Fire Ants Problem!! HELP!!

cindi090

Hatching
Aug 3, 2016
I need help I'm new to all this chicken Life and these fire ants are killing my baby chicks how in with what can I get rid of these fire ants any suggestions thank you I really appreciate it!!

Put cornmeal on the nests, that'll slowly get them... Also, you can pour boiling water on the nests to kill them instantly.

I'm so sorry for you, that sounds so horrible! Augh, I hate those ants!

An old pard of mine in the Long Star State gave me the best way to treat Fire Ants and it works every time.. First you ice down a case of beer then drink the whole thing. Next recycle the beer onto the Fire Ant mound. The forgoing will not rid your property of Fire Ants, but it will make you feel a whole lot better about having them.around.

You should first study and learn about the physical attributes of Fire Ants. Then tailor your Fire Ant control or management program to fit the problem. nothing works like a Fire Ant bait spread in the evening on the ground and then gently watered in. A single large Fire Ant colony may cover an acre. In other words 43,560 square feet. Mostly because Fire Ant baits use corn meal or corn grits as the carrying agent for the active ingredient in Fire Ant poison, many people think that corn meal kills the rascals. It won't control Fire Ants but any of the methods mentioned so far except for the one mentioned by you's truly will at the very best only encourage the ants to move their mound anywhere from 5 to 20 feet from where it currently is.located. But the Fire Ants will still be living and working just under your feet. Besides, Fire Ant colonies usually have multiple or satellite queens because Fire Ants are like Vladimir Putin and that means that they are always fighting with their neighbors and trying to subjugate them for the common good.

I need help I'm new to all this chicken Life and these fire ants are killing my baby chicks how in with what can I get rid of these fire ants any suggestions thank you I really appreciate it!!

Fire ants require a good bit of effort to get rid of....as mentioned above, many times they simply move over a bit. Here is a link to extension.org and information on dealing with the beasts: http://articles.extension.org/pages/14345/fire-ant-control:-the-two-step-method-and-other-approaches

People who have never had to deal with them have no idea what a terror they can be to many creatures.

Best wishes,
Ed

I have the same problem with ants, only they are not bothering my birds, but biting the [insert expletives here] out of me. I currently have about 7 big bites from when I watered my ducks the other day. I need a way to try to control them that won't hurt the chickens and ducks as I allow them to free-range. Me wearing a lot of clothing won't work because then I will be in the hospital from heat exhaustion. Also, this is my backyard and needs to be friendly to my kids.

I have read about DE. Someone said something about Orthene (although I am not sure if that is poisonous to the birds). I also read about the boiling water, which would take several tries and mostly just thin their population. Another thing I saw was some research in TX said it was having success with orange oil or something like that.

Also, just read a post about predatory nematodes? But someone said they don't work once it gets to hot.

Here is the link to the Texas A&M site about orange oil and dish soap, as well as a few other methods mentioned from them:

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot_topics/sustainable_living/fire_ant_management.shtml

I do wonder how "easy" that is to do for the general layperson (melt aluminum). Where would you get it? How much is it? What equipment do you need to melt it? I am all for that :) I have seen videos of it on YouTube.

Melt aluminum and pour the molten aluminum into the mound. Wait a few minutes and dig out aluminum tunnel sculpture and put it on your coffee table.

I thought you were kidding at first! That is so cool! Does it really eliminate ants, though, or just provide you with a pretty sculpture?

Back
Top Bottom