Fire Ants - Using Molasses To Drive Out Colonies

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
Just tellin’ ya what I have done and observed. Total cost to me was under twenty bucks. No taxpayer funding involved.
It's much cheaper to take your shovel and scoop up a fire ant mound and go dump it on another fire ant mound. Then stand back and watch the ants attack and kill each other.

Knellie

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
Gulf Coast, SW Louisiana
It's much cheaper to take your shovel and scoop up a fire ant mound and go dump it on another fire ant mound. Then stand back and watch the ants attack and kill each other.
Yep, I do that but I protect myself by covering shovel handle (well, not really covering the whole handle — just an inch or two around the lower part of handle) with molasses and also spread it on perimeter of wheelbarrow. They don’t cross it.

As to molasses attracting ants by droves and maybe hurting the chicks, I had the thought that farmers and ranchers use sweet feed (sweetened with molasses) all the time without an army of ants invading. Maybe because animals love it and gobble it up before the ants can invade? The guy where I buy feed recommended mixing sweet feed in with poultry feed and I have done that. No ants.

But every situation is different; maybe the thing to do is try putting some out where the birds don’t forage and see what happens.

WaxiChickens

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
Very interesting.

I know it’s supposed to be feed molasses not good grade. Feed molasses are awful.

Sometimes science doesn’t support old wife’s tale’s and farmer’s tricks but they still seem to work.

If it was a well known proven soliton the price of molasses in the south would skyrocket.

If it is harmless I see it as an experiment that doesn’t cost too much if it doesn’t work. We are having a really bad year for fire ants.

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 11, 2010
Let us know how it works for you. I do know equine sweet feed will attract all kinds of insects if not properly stored.

Top Bottom