fire ants

"If everyone threw a rock into the Grand Canyon..."
lol.png

And the ground does live. It is full of life down to the microscopic level, much of which is essential for the life we can see as well. I just hope I don't live near you.

As for poisons, the best kind are the ones that trick the ants into thinking it is food. This they bring into the nest and they all feed on it (Including the queen) so it gets all of them. as another poster suggested, find the nest and lay some down near it so not only will you not risk your birds but may also distract them from your nesting area by providing a more convenient source.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol.png

And the ground does live. It is full of life down to the microscopic level, much of which is essential for the life we can see as well. I just hope I don't live near you.

As for poisons, the best kind are the ones that trick the ants into thinking it is food. This they bring into the nest and they all feed on it (Including the queen) so it gets all of them. as another poster suggested, find the nest and lay some down near it so not only will you not risk your birds but may also distract them from your nesting area by providing a more convenient source.
Ok, I'll side with that for animals, but if the ant bed is away from a foraging animal such as chickens, ducks, etc, I'm using gas. Thanks

Ok, I'll side with that for animals, but if the ant bed is away from a foraging animal such as chickens, ducks, etc, I'm using gas. thanks

lol.png

Whoops, wrong quote. I ment to say good advise, but how does grits kill them unless there is something toxic?

No, gas comes from refineries. The crude oil it is made from comes from the ground. And it is fine so long as it stays the hundreds of feet below the ground. On the surface, not so much (just ask Exxon or BP). Both are toxic to animals and neither can be made non-toxic. As for pouring it in the ground near or in the coop, I wouldn't. Use a killer or better yet a repellent that is tested and certified as safe around pets and livestock.
Ok, I'll side with that for animals, but if the ant bed is away from a foraging animal such as chickens, ducks, etc, I'm using gas. Thanks

Quote: Even sugar ...too much of it...can be harmful. Or salt. I don't know how it works, but it works. I did it originally as an experiment, because I didn't believe it either. But when I came back later to check, there were plenty of dead ants on the top of the mound. Now i just keep the bag of grits handy, in the potting shed. As soon as I see the mound activity, I toss on a handful.

Even sugar ...too much of it...can be harmful. Or salt. I don't know how it works, but it works. I did it originally as an experiment, because I didn't believe it either. But when I came back later to check, there were plenty of dead ants on the top of the mound. Now i just keep the bag of grits handy, in the potting shed. As soon as I see the mound activity, I toss on a handful.

Hmmm, I'll have to try this myself.

Quote: Not 100% sure how it works, but I'm thinking maybe it works the same way rice and the non-toxic rat killers work, by swelling in their gut causing it to rupture. And I seriously think that gasoline is not going to solve your problem (if you're so set on using it why ask us in the first place?). Fire ant colonies can extend anywhere from three to ten feet down and at least three feet out,. the mound on top is just the tailings; the dirt that was dug out when the nest is being built.

Here's a FAQ about fire ants, courtesy of the University of Arkansas.

http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-7052.pdf

I've gotten the best results with the full season preventatives. I spread this around the property in early march, before mounds start appearing and it keeps them away all summer and into late fall which is about when they start hibernating. I may see a couple of small mounds pop-up just before winter, but they never amount to much and are disposed of with the next spreading in spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom