Fire Ants

honeyofahen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Texas
Our area is prone to fire ant infestation. How should we control it without posioning our babies?
hu.gif

Fire ants won't cross water so anything you can do to create a moat around your run will help. Unfortunately this is not always a practical solution.

You need to analyze where they may be accessing the run and coop and del with them there. Some folks add screening over hardware cloth and pre-treat bedding with food-grade diatomaceous earth, Sevin and/or Dri-Kill to repel them. Something called AMDRO is supposed to be effective too. There are several threads from BYC members here- hope this helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...D:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fire+ants&sa=Search#1249

Last edited:
Are you having a problem with them?

I just put my five week olds out in the coop on Sunday and so far no ants have bothered them. I also had a flock about 13 years ago and never had a problem.

....we even had a Porcelain hatch some eggs under our porch stairs and the babies were fine....but....I have seen the damage ants can do once they begin their attack...

I'm between Austin/Elgin and we have a BUNCH of fire ants in this area.

I have read online that baking soda kills ants, and that ants are repelled by paprika. So sprinkle some baking soda on the ant hill, surround your coop with paprika, and you should be fine!

I saw something on TV I believe about a baby chick being killed by fire ants, just seconds after it hatched
ep.gif
Those buggers are awful!

Peppermint essential oil will make ants scatter and not return. I dont know if it works on fire ants but I use it mixed in a spray bottle full of peppermint tea and spray it everywhere I see ants. I also pour peppermint tea with added peppermint essential oil onto ant colonies and that makes them abandon their homes.I dont have fire ants but I do have a lot of pets and needed a non toxic solution to the many types of ants I have here. Peppermint essential oil can be found at the health food store and is fairly cheap.Because its an oil and oil and water /tea dont mix, shake very hard before spraying and shake frequently while spraying. Hope this helps

I've already had fire ants in my yard and in the coop. My chickens are all full-grown and they don't go near the ants. I'm able to use an Amdro type poison on them and the chickens don't go near it .... none of them. When they're free-ranging they'll avoid those ants, the mounds, everything.

I patrol my one acre daily and spread poison on the beginning mounds. Neither my dogs nor my chicks bother with them on the poison.

Just as an aside...I was treating a very small "mound" last evening and a very small racer snake was being attacked by them. The snake was no bigger than a pencil and a bit thinner. I just couldn't bear to see him so I picked him up by his skinny tail and moved him away from those nasty ants.

I too am blessed with the (*#&($*&(@#_(!#& fire ants. Matter of fact, I usually get them in each closet, my kitchen, bathrooms, etc. all at differnt times through out the year.

I have seen a few in my coop. But my chickens were pecking at them. I am putting down some sevin tomorrow, I dont think it really helps THAT much on fire ants. Because they are just soooo resilant. But, I have to do something. And with as many kids as I have, I hate to put down anything really poisonious.

I really dread when the ants get bad. right now they are not just awful yet.

chellebyerly -

As for the ants coming into the house we have found that the ants want to come inside when the ground is dry outside. Using a soaker hose around the foundation helps....but does not stop them 100%.

Tammy, yep, your right. when its dry they come in badly. I had them in my walls last year.
sad.png
I used everything known to man to get rid of them.

I have not suceeded yet. LOL Unfortunatly, I cant soak around the house.
sad.png
But its a great idea!!

Back
Top Bottom