fire ants

Red ants are native ants that bite and sting and are unpleasant. Some people call them fire ants because the bite burns.

"Real" fire ants are non-native ants (from Brazil) that bite, sting, mob, kill, attack, and can cause potentially lethal reactions to their venom in both animals and people. They also destroy native ant populations. Lastly, their venom causes raised pussy sores, kinda like poison ivy. Horrible things!

Oh, and might I add- Dustin's post is dead on accurate! Nice comparison.

-MTchick

Last edited:
Horrible, evil stinkin' fire ants...hate 'em! I used to bait with amdro, but I don't want to use it with the chickens. A local company makes a fire ant killer with orange oil and molassas. With the rain we've had a few mounds have popped up so I'm going to give it a try. I've heard you can make this stuff at home. I'll look for the link.

Karen

I found the web site. It's The Dirt Doctor, http://www.dirtdoctor.com and the recipe is 1 part compost tea, 1 part molassas and one part orange oil. You use 4-6 oz. per gallon and drench the mound. I haven't tried it. various companies make their own versions of this. I'm going to give it a try today.

Karen

Y'know I forgot all about the orange oil molassas stuff. I used it last year and it worked fabulously. Thanks for the brain jog!

Where do I find orange oil? I'm deadly allergic to fire ants (took venom shots for 5 years to help with the reactions) I need to find something other than gas and a match to destroy mounds now that we have the chickens.

Coyote

ok what if u cant find their mound?

we have had them coming in our bedroom for a month i have killed them all 2 times but cannot find the mound were talking abt great big ones omg.......nasty lil boogers

any ideas on how to kill them in a house?

Back
Top Bottom