fire ants

i never got the water to a boiling point, you just want the ants to think its warmer near the surface and dryer. then the cold gets them. i try not to use poisons in the yard but sometimes i have to.never tried de wildsky i'll have to give that a try.

Never tried this but heard it works;

pour some rice on the mound, make sure you see the ants taking the rice in the mound, wait a day or so and fill with water.

Supposedly, the ants will eat the rice and when watered, the rice swells and kills them.

I have used vinegar in ant hole with great success...plain ole vinegar
big_smile.png

If you want the non poisoinous route use grits. Sprinkle some on the mound and gently disturb it so they come out and carry them back in with them. They swell inside them and they die. Now my personal method is: Take your gas can and a stick. Poke a hole in the middle of the mound with said stick. Pour gas in hole, ignite and wham no more ants. The grass will grow back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grits do not work. In SC we have them so bad I used to stay drunk on Benadryl elixir.I have used gas, Mauriac acid, we have set the mound on fire and seen then walk through it. The best stuff we found that works is Boric Acid, Dust the mounds really good with it and soon it will kill the queen and the mound will die out. Good Luck with this

Poke a hole in the middle of the mound with said stick. Pour gas in hole, ignite and wham no more ants. The grass will grow back.

This is a dangerous thing to do as the vapors from gas will ignite and explode,just ask my DH.

Last edited:
dig a huge hole around the edge of the mound, very quickly scoop up the mound, fling aforementioned mound over fence to neighbors house ..
lol.png
lol.png

just kidding...but ants wont cross some things...

not sure about fire ants but supposidly cornmeal, grits and cream of what kills ants, they eat it and cant digest it and die.

ants also despise peppermint
Ants will not walk through baby powder.
Sprinkling dry Maxwell House Coffee grounds on a fire ant nest kills the ants.

Black pepper, chili powder, and ground cinnamon are all good for getting rid of ants. Both the pepper and chili powder repel ants, and the little beasties won't cross a line of cinnamon.

uncooked Minute Rice around the base of an anthill or wherever ants are a problem. The ants take the rice back to their nest for the colony to devour. When the ants eat it, the rice swells in their stomachs, killing them.

*shrugs* Massive loads of boiling water? Kill it with fire? Explosives? Chemical/biological warfare?

Your options are nearly limitless. The only solution here is clearly a tactical one
tongue.png

In all reality though, some ant poison should do the trick.

Here in Texas we wait for a heavy rain. After a rainfall, the ants move closer to the surface to dry off, including those pesky queens. That's when you hit them with the boiling hot water. It burns up the grass, but grass grows back, and I've never had an ant mount survive after I've used this tactic.

I've never tried the boiling water thing, but I saw on Discovery channel or somewhere that ants can swim/float on water for days and days so I never tried using water. If we fry fish or something I pour the hot grease on the mound and that DOES the trick. The only drawback I've had thus far is keeping the $%#@^ dog from eating the ant mound because of the grease. LOL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom