Fire ants?

glad I am not the only one with poop eating ants!

going to give the cinnamon a try- great idea thanks!!!

and my chickens never eat ants- too tiny and just not worth their time I believe. spoiled girls!

Mary

Quote:
Chicken poop is a food supply. I had to sit in my run and fix my automatic waterer yesterday. The ants were carrying off chunks off poop. No other source of food for them in my run. I left them (chickens) all in the run yesterday and sprayed Bayer insect killer around the perimeter of coop and run as a barrier. So far it seems to be keeping them out. I've been stung so many times by those @$@# things this year I don't even feel them anymore. Maybe I should start wearing shoes?
roll.png

Great idea...is there a way you can let the chickens out for a day when you will be home to watch them if you don't have a run..and just spray like crazy in there and get rid of them....by the evening if it is done early in the a.m., you should be fine with letting the birds back in the pen.

D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:
Chicken poop is a food supply. I had to sit in my run and fix my automatic waterer yesterday. The ants were carrying off chunks off poop. No other source of food for them in my run. I left them (chickens) all in the run yesterday and sprayed Bayer insect killer around the perimeter of coop and run as a barrier. So far it seems to be keeping them out. I've been stung so many times by those @$@# things this year I don't even feel them anymore. Maybe I should start wearing shoes?
roll.png

Great idea...is there a way you can let the chickens out for a day when you will be home to watch them if you don't have a run..and just spray like crazy in there and get rid of them....by the evening if it is done early in the a.m., you should be fine with letting the birds back in the pen.​

Just took some treats out to the chickens and their run is still pretty much ant free. We'll see how long this expensive bottle of "guaranteed to kill" stuff works.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom