Fire in the Coop

I have a flat panel heater, and it uses quite a bit of electricity. I also don't know what kind of emergency cut-off it might have.

I am buying a Sweeter Heater- I saw it advertised in Backyard Poultry Magazine. I'll let you know how it works (the neighbor's dog gets it first, then my hens will get it).

http://sweeterheater.com/page5.asp

I particularly like the 100 watts/0.9 amps for the 30" long heater!!! That's half the expense of running the old red brooder light, and infinitely safer!

I also have a sweeter heater and finally sleep well at night. I feel very comfortable using it.

To keep the coop temp from getting too warm I also have a thermostat that is attached to an electrical cord. This way I keep the coop as close to 20 degrees as possible when it is really cold and over that temp the girls are fine. The thermostat is from morelectric.com

I have an 8 x 8 coop that is insulated and I'm using the deep litter method. Tonight in New Hampshire the wind chill is -11 degrees but the coop is at 22 degrees. The sweeter heater does just enough without the worry.

Back
Top Bottom