Fire in the hen house!

happymorrows

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Morganton, NC
Well, the chickens just about managed to burn their house down this morning. They had gotten rambunctious at some point in the morning and knocked the heating lamp off of the screw that was holding it up. The shavings were nicely blackened, as was the wood under it, and beginning to smolder. Thankfully, my dearest darling husband went out to let them out and caught it before we reached actual flammage. WHEW!! Lesson learned, secure heat lamp like a 6 point earthquake is coming at any time!

Same thing happened to me last month! VERY scary!
th.gif
Very glad that your chickens are all okay!

My chickens have never been to blame for such a thing before, but on the first day I got my Shamos, my sister and I were admiring them, guarding their coop door rather loosely, and what next? A dumb kitten comes scrambling in, scares the birds, runs around, knocks one of the heat lamps, and runs out. I didn't realize the heat lamp was knocked though, and was too focused on the well being of the birds. After a minute, I smelled it. . . Something burning. Luckily nothing caught on fire, but after that I made sure to keep the lamp up on a secure hook and that NO kittens get in next time.
roll.png

After reading several posts here and advice in a couple books about the dangers of heat lamps and shavings, when we built the coop we installed ours in a ceramic light fixture that is secured to the ceiling beams. No way that thing is coming down unless they hack thru the 2x4s. If I get roast chicken, I prefer it to be my choice.

I have my light on a timer. It will come on for 5 mins and then go off.

I do think it was funny when I had it shining on the brooder and my anti-social wynadottes would come "bathe" under the light on top of the brooder pen.

fluffy butts, quit hogging the light!

Please don't laugh.

I wired my light up very carefully to a solid screw and went to bed to rest easily. The next day I noticed that Stormy, my blue Leg horn was missing a big patch of feathers. Molting? Harassment? OMG! She had caught herself on fire! I placed the lamp a little too close to the roost.

The next night I had to place each hen in the coop and stopped using the lamp. Stormy is fine, and didn't even miss a day of egg laying but I'll bet she notices the cold more now.

Back
Top Bottom