Fireworks and Chickens

Spinster_Sister

Songster
10 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Hawthorne, CA
This is my first Independance Day with chickens and I am worried about their reaction to fireworks. I am hoping not to find them dead from heart attacks tomorrow morning in their coop. I am planning on bringing them into my bathroom tomorrow night but some dumbbells are now firing them off. So experienced chicken keepers, how do your chickens fare during the celebrations? Any special needs or concerns to be prepared for?

How are they reacting to the noise they're hearing tonight? Is it making them upset, excited, flying around their coop? Unless the fireworks are exploding right over the coop, I imagine your chickens are reacting the same way that mine are ... oblivious to it all! If it would make you feel more secure, by all means bring them into your bathroom, you don't have that many to make it a big chore. I think the noise & light bother dogs, horses & other larger animals more than it does chickens.

Somebody's setting them off here already too. My chickens seem to be fine but it's driving the dogs crazy.

My dog and my cats do not like the fireworks. They're setting off a lot of them in my neighborhood, and the animals have been cowering in the house all evening. Went out to the henhouse and checked on the birds a while ago, and they're all perched up on their little roosting area (an old bookshelf I put in the henhouse) and doing just fine.

Hopefully, tomorrow won't be too terribly bad on the animals. My dog already has anxiety as it is, and she has never liked the 4th of July. I was gonna go to a BBQ, but I can't because I have to stay home so my dog doesn't freak out and chew herself half to death!

Hi!
Just got my chickens yesterday and then we had fireworks last night so I was a bit worried about them but they were in their henhouse asleep. (I checked several times just to be sure)
smile.png

im not really sure but i think they should be fine, i think its more dogs and stuff who freak out, i think they have more sensitive ears or something so i think your birds should be fine

Yep, as we speak, my dog is freaking out and my hens are doing what they do this time every night--sitting up in their snoozing area, piled on top of each other and sleeping.

Do everybody's chickens sleep piled up on top of each other? Or are mine just weird?

Back
Top Bottom