First Alaskan Winter Coop

alaskanest

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
Hi, My husband and I just raised our first batch of 6 chicks over the summer and now we're turning our shed into a proper coop for winter. We live in Alaska, so standard temps run from 10F to -30F in winter. We've already had a couple of weeks between 32F - 20F at night and I'm anxious to get them into better shelter. I've done alot of reading on cold coops and ventillation, but I'd love any advice from northern neighbors. I love our peeps and want to take good care of them - 2 buff orpingtions, 2 easter eggers, 1 Rhode island red (I think) rooster. (We have already harvested the other RIR who also turned out to be a rooster-new territory for me for sure.) The 4 hens have been giving us 2-4 eggs a day for several weeks - it's great! Planning to keep them laying with supplimental light and probably heat in the coldest part of winter. Thanks for all the posts and articles that have helped us through the summer! Here is their current coop - a repurposed dog kennel - now supplimented with plywood and foam board surrounds and a red heat lamp at night. Not very sophjsticated, I know. I just hope they'll be alright until they are in their new house.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, gets pretty cold up in your territory! Definitely stop by your state thread to chat with your neighbors to see how they survive your brutally cold winters!! Kelsie has left you with the link.

Enjoy your lovely flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. We have visited Alaska on several occasions and love it there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom