First "Ameraucana" egg AND IT'S GREEN!!

I also have an Ameraucana, purchased from a reliable breeder, who lays an egg that is a little more green than blue. It does seem, however, that her eggs are getting a little less green over time. She's only been laying since January and is now just about a year old. Maybe yours will fade more to blue in time. It is still a very pretty egg. Like some of the others said, there may be a recessive brown gene and Mother Nature through you a little curve. Enjoy a prettily colored egg basket. Good luck.

Green never changes to blue.

actually the breeder through a curve ball, not mother nature...
cool.png

as long as one wasn't buying for the particular egg color it may not bother the buyer to much..

any how Your hens best color is at the beginning of her egg cycle..
if its blue in the beginning it will stay blue but fade through out the laying season/cycle

if its green, brown the same goes for it as well, it will fade/loose color during the season/cycle

remember: always bright at the beginning, fading out through out the laying cycle..the birds normally molt at the end of the egg cycle and the bright color reappears and then goes back through the fading cycle all over

however, i have seen a few hens that never loose there color through out a laying cycle, but it is rare to see this esp in the blue world

also small pullet eggs (first eggs laid) tend to be rich in color and once normal egg size is reached the color will lighten up a bit..

blueeggs2003_final.jpg

Last edited:
A green egg is a blue egg shell with a brown layer applied over it. If the blue shell color stays consistent during the laying cycle, but the brown layer applied over the surface gradually fades to a lighter shade, which is common with brown eggs, then during that laying cycle the egg color will gradually go from more green to more blue. You would also see that type of color change if the brown layer simply fades faster than the blue color in the shell.

With my green eggs, it was more like they went from a darker green, to a lighter green. My green eggs stayed green and my blue eggs stayed blue. I've heard of a couple of people that had eggs go from more green to more blue during the laying season. Long term, I don't think the brown layer would disappear, you would just have seasonal changes to it.

When I originally read this thread, my first thought was to contact the breeder and let them know this. Was this a first time breeding and they honestly had no idea? Do they not know what they're doing? Was it a scam? You know, it's really hard to say, if you don't know the person you got the eggs from. I think their response to this information will tell you a lot about them. If they are a person of good character, that's serious about breeding, they'll want to know this. It will be important information for their breeding program. If it's just someone with a flock of miscellaneous chickens that's selling hatching eggs mostly for fun and a little cash for feed, they might not care. If it's a scammer, well, who knows if you'll even hear back from them.

I agree that it is a beautiful egg.

pips&peeps :

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
Don't let it be from me, don't let it be from me, don't let it be from me.....
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

lol.png
I would say the odds are certainly against that!
smile.png

my EE have all the right "looks" beard and all but one lays a "pink" egg and the other lays green. Occasionally we do get a very pale green that is very pretty though and sometimes her eggs are speckled with brown.

Thanks to all who provided some info. I was hoping to breed her and sell either chicks or eggs. Some folks really want the blue eggs, myself included. Hopefully my other pullet with provide those, but nevertheless I love my girl and her egg is beautiful. I'll keep her forever. I think I will contact the breeder just to let him know. And by the way, the breeder was from the Southern part of the US, just to relieve some minds. Thanks again.

second that...
=wilds of pa]What it means is somebody didn't know what there roo was carrying..
more than likely They took a hen that laid a nice blue egg and mated her with a roo which they didn't know what he came from or was carrying.
(brown egg gene was in him at one point of his line or heratiage..so basically the male carrys blue and brown genes)

once its in the stock its tough to rid your self of it, lots and lots of test breeding and hatching and segregation of different birds to figure it all out..

Ooopppsss. Not a good surprise. You have true Ameraucanas, but not a desirable egg color. If you want to breed your Ameraucanas, dont put this one in the pen.
Actually, if you have one pullet throwing green, your roos may be carrying brown/green genes, too. I think I would introduce a new roo taht you know
comes from a blue egg and hope for blue eggs from the offspring.​

Back
Top Bottom