First assisted hatching on cracked egg, she’s out, questions

losylee

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 6, 2015
Florida panhandle
Hi, I hate to bug but having trouble finding some info.

Thanks so much for the two guides on hatching (sally’s and can’t remember the other) without those I would have hurt this poor girl.

On Thurs brought in an open egg that mama had cracked. It was pretty open, big ole hole. Followed the directions and this morning helped her out of the shrinkwrapped part. Came back and she had pretty much done the rest, just had to loosen some wing feathers stuck to the bottom. This was just now.

Because it was stressful should I give her an electrolyte mix or just let her be? She is under a heat lamp (don’t have incubator) at 98.4. Ok temp? She’s in a 3x3 shallow tupperware dish on some dry paper towels. I have a damp cloth on the edge of the tupperware but not where she can grab it and pull it in. She is rolling around and stuff, that’s good right? Should her tupperware be bigger for more movement? This movement is normal right, and not signs that she’s in distress? Should the tupperware be taller so she can’t climb out?

The very end of her umbilical cord was crusty and dry so I snipped it before freeing the last feathers. There is some dried chalky yolk left at the bottom of the egg. Is this normal or was she not able to absorb all the yolk due to it drying up because the egg was cracked? Should she get Sav-a-Chick because of this?

I have pictures and video if anyone needs.

Thank you to anyone who responds. This has been an uncertain 3 days and now that she’s out I feel even more helpless. Also thank you again for the guides and the hatching thread, without that she wouldn’t have made it past Thursday.

I’d aim for 99.5 or at least 99. You can put a drop or two of water/vitamin/etc on her beak it certainly won’t harm her.

Is there a reason you don’t want to put her back under mama?

Mama’s moved on with her survivng chick and abandoned the nest. She unfortunately just passed, but she fought. Thank you very much for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom