First attack, any ideas?

Derrick cook

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2017
Ok so i was gone today doing some side jobs when i checked my phone and see 8 missed calls from my wife and these two pictures...something got my poor girl Koy today...i dontnhave any better pictures and i didnt get to see the body because she buried it before i got home but can anyone give me an idea as to of what might have done this? Based onnthe pictures i wanna say possum or raccoon. Anyone have something similar? Trying to find out so i know how big of a trap i need to set or how i can terminate this predator View attachment 1174528 View attachment 1174529

View attachment 1174753 Was this something she walked up on early this morning or did it have during the day? The majority of ground dwelling predators are nocturnal which I used 3 strands of polywire and a 15mile fence charger and predator guard extended 2ft out around the base of my 4 ft tall sheep and goat fence to deter. If this was a daytime attack it was more than likely a hawk. From what I understand they have a thing for heads. I used #18 nylon rope in an array fashion from a couple a base points to the front of their coop, along with some cd' s hung up and some warning shots to the hawks that do fly over.

Last edited:
So sorry. Never easy to find such a sight.

I would agree a raccoon or opossum. About the same size trap for either of those. Birds of prey leave piles of feathers around the body.

Once you trap it...shoot it. Trying to relocate may sound nice but they generally become someone else's problem.

Was this something she walked up on early this morning or did it have during the day? The majority of ground dwelling predators are nocturnal which I used 3 strands of polywire and a 15mile fence charger and predator guard extended 2ft out around the base of my 4 ft tall sheep and goat fence to deter. If this was a daytime attack it was more than likely a hawk. From what I understand they have a thing for heads. I used #18 nylon rope in an array fashion from a couple a base points to the front of their coop, along with some cd' s hung up and some warning shots to the hawks that do fly over.
My wife walked up on this around 2pm, i let my birds out at around 9am and i left for the day and my wife left for a couple hours to run errands, it was kinda weird, i thought it was a hawk at first but i saw part of the top of my chicken wire was bent up a little, but if a big hawk landed on it, id imagine it would bend some

So sorry. Never easy to find such a sight.

I would agree a raccoon or opossum. About the same size trap for either of those. Birds of prey leave piles of feathers around the body.

Once you trap it...shoot it. Trying to relocate may sound nice but they generally become someone else's problem.
Whatever it is, it got my wifes favorite baby so it will be terminated to prevent future issues

Was this something she walked up on early this morning or did it have during the day? The majority of ground dwelling predators are nocturnal which I used 3 strands of polywire and a 15mile fence charger and predator guard extended 2ft out around the base of my 4 ft tall sheep and goat fence to deter. If this was a daytime attack it was more than likely a hawk. From what I understand they have a thing for heads. I used #18 nylon rope in an array fashion from a couple a base points to the front of their coop, along with some cd' s hung up and some warning shots to the hawks that do fly over.

Oh, she just now told me the head was on the whole other end of the run which is a good 20-30 foot away

IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0522.jpg IMG_0523.jpg
(Cropped screen shots. Wouldn't let me link.)

Back
Top Bottom