First Attempt at Clipping (A Goat)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Apr 17, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    FlightsofFancy and I worked on clipping our first ever goat today.

Hanky Panky was chosen to be the test subject because he grows a super thick coat and seemed the most miserable in today's 78 degree weather.

Mind you all, he's not done. There's finishing work to be done about his head and legs...and I will then need help getting him properly set up for his 'official photos'.

He was pretty good for his first clipping, but HATED his first bath (hello - DANDRUFF). I just love this buck. He's our dwarf-dwarf (13" at one year old) and is SO stinking sweet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    that is the funkiest looking goat ever he is beautiful in an odd type of way and very megestic for being so small [​IMG] I love your goats but you are making me jealous.

Henry

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He is very cute. Whatever do you do with those tiny little things?

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    He is a babydoll! Very cute! I love that you left part of his beard. There's just something about the long beards on the boys that I love.

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Clipping goats is a new concept to me. Is this for show purposes? Does it help alot with the heat?

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh my goodness he's cute!!![​IMG]

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL Miss Prissy! That small, they're nothing more than pet quality... Being smaller than most of my kids at weaning age, Hank is a real head turner (course right now he's just funny looking with all that hair on his head and nowhere else...but ah, well).

1 acre - there are a lot of reasons for clipping a goat...but it's a dairy goat thing, not a pygmy or meat goat thing. Yes, show dairy goats are done as a rule. We're doing it to help our goats shed that winter down and to gain a more dairy look overall. They're just SO cute clipped!

Skye - I love the beards, too - even on my does. He'll get to keep his jowl and beard hair - isn't that white goatee inside his beard the cutest?!

8. kurby

kurby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    East,Texas
    Oh my gosh he's funny looking!! but cute
    K

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

At least you got something small enough you can manhandle, our sheep weigh about 125-150 pounds. I've been thinking of shearing them, but I would probably come out looking worse than them.

10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Now THAT is cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by