First attempt at mealworm farming

this morning I moved the beetles into fresh bran, leaving the eggs they've been laying for the last month to grow on. Quite a few had already hatched and grown on into visible mealworms, so 3 out of 4 life stages were present in the one container. There were 3 dead beetles and some bits of dismembered ones, so I guess the oldest members of my young colony are passing on now. I hope to start harvesting by the end of the month...

@416bigbore prompted me to take some photos of the farm : the first is the whole thing, sitting atop the boiler in the utility room. Then one of a worm drawer, and then one of the beetle drawer. I have settled down to a procedure of removing the beetles to a new drawer every time I complete harvesting it (and washing of course, between getting rid of the frass left behind by the worms and refilling with fresh bran for the beetles), and picking out any pupae I spot in the worm drawers and putting them in a separate small container I check daily for emerged beetles, which then go into the beetle drawer. I harvest the worms when they are about 1" long.

DSC00446.JPG DSC00447.JPG DSC00448.JPG

Back
Top Bottom