First babies

quackers123

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Hello! So, my one year old duck started sitting on her eggs maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, this is her first time sitting and she has 16! However we noticed some of them had gone rotten, and I was wondering why? Also, how likely is it that she'll actually hatch the babies successfully? If I were to take them, would it but hot enough (at around 30-40 degrees) without an incubator? Also, she doesn't sit all day and will get off to go play with the other ducks? Will they still hatch? Ad I've read that sometimes ducks kill their babies, how do I prevent that? Thanks!

Hello! So, my one year old duck started sitting on her eggs maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, this is her first time sitting and she has 16! However we noticed some of them had gone rotten, and I was wondering why? Also, how likely is it that she'll actually hatch the babies successfully? If I were to take them, would it but hot enough (at around 30-40 degrees) without an incubator? Also, she doesn't sit all day and will get off to go play with the other ducks? Will they still hatch? Ad I've read that sometimes ducks kill their babies, how do I prevent that? Thanks!

Okay....
1) Some have gone rotten because she can't cover all of them at once. Remove the rotten ones with as little disturbance to the nest as possible.
2) Natural mothers have a very high chance of hatching them successfully, I suggest you learn to trust her. :)
3) Do NOT take them. Ever. The only ones you take are rotten or cracked ones! If you do try to hatch eggs yourself, you will ALWAYS need an incubator. Eggs must be turned 3-7 times a day, and kept under very strict humidity and temperatures, thus REQUIRING a incubator or mother duck/hen.
4) Getting off of them is healthy and normal, and required for a healthy hatch. As long as she's not gone all day, and still sits on them regularly, this actually helps the hatch! Any mother duck or hen must get off daily- some are even forced to, because sitting on the nest all day and all night is not healthy for the eggs or the mother.
4) It's usually only the drakes that kill the babies. I assume you have a drake (if you don't, the eggs are infertile, and will not hatch). Just keep an eye on your family, and for the first 2-3 weeks keep the mother and her babies seperate from the other ducks. Then, you can start to slowly let the hens and the family together. Once they are friendly, you can add the drake in last. However, don't let mama get lonely- keep her in site of the flock. I just seperate my run and coop with chicken wire that is 3' tall- works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom