First Batch Cornish X Chicks Came in Yesterday

VyeFye

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
Lancaster, CA
I got my tiny batch of cornish cross from the postal annex at 5 this morning. I lost 4 but hopefully the remaining 6 will provide a few tasty dinners. I am going to attempt to free range them. Any helpful tips appreciated.
EB91BFF2-6D4B-4437-8C78-872907E21DD9.jpeg

I got my tiny batch of cornish cross from the postal annex at 5 this morning. I lost 4 but hopefully the remaining 6 will provide a few tasty dinners. I am going to attempt to free range them. Any helpful tips appreciated.View attachment 1605203
Personally I wouldn't recommend free ranging them. They don't really move around much. They mostly just want to hang out by their feeder.

This breed is pretty susceptible to stress causing problems, so try to make sure they don't run out of water.

I got my tiny batch of cornish cross from the postal annex at 5 this morning. I lost 4 but hopefully the remaining 6 will provide a few tasty dinners. I am going to attempt to free range them. Any helpful tips appreciated.View attachment 1605203
Did I read that correctly you lost 4 chicks in the first 5 hours you had them?

As long as your predator protection is good, they will do well free-ranging. The key is not to set out food for them all the time. After the first 2 weeks, I only fed mine twice a day -- all they can eat in 30 minutes or so. They had access to a large fenced yard and would wander around the yard looking for bugs, weeds and old produce I would scatter about the yard. They took dust baths and, until they got too big at the end, would roost in the bushes and chase each other around. They can be active, healthy birds if given the right environment.

I've raised 6 batches of 25 birds now, and have never had one drop dead on me yet, and I tend to let them grow out longer than most. We just butchered the last one from this year's batch -- he was 13 weeks old and 10 1/2 pounds dressed.

Always make sure they have access to fresh clean water, as well as shady areas if it gets hot. Since they are big and slow, making sure the area you have the ranging is not predator prone is important. They are easy pickings for any creature that likes to eat chicken. I have electric wire around my fence and avian netting strung up as hawks are very prevalent where I live.

Did I read that correctly you lost 4 chicks in the first 5 hours you had them?
Yes. After recounting it turns out they sent me 12 and I've lost six.
They were in the mail since the 28th of November and they stayed overnight in the postal warehouse with an overnight temp of 29 F. So yes. I am happy that I have six. I also think they have cocci so I am treating for that and hoping that I don't lose more.

Yes. After recounting it turns out they sent me 12 and I've lost six.
They were in the mail since the 28th of November and they stayed overnight in the postal warehouse with an overnight temp of 29 F. So yes. I am happy that I have six. I also think they have cocci so I am treating for that and hoping that I don't lose more.
That really stinks, time to find a different hatchery. Good luck with the 6 you have.

They were from TSC. I ordered online. It's partly my fault. I missed the post office's call yesterday. I was lucky there were at the annex for Sunday shipping or my chicks would have still been there.

I'd get rid of the newspaper ... shavings or straw is much better ... newspapers are more slippery, and they can injure their legs ... paper towels can work until you get better bedding.

I have pine shavings to put in there. Right now I'm mostly concerned with being able to see droppings. I have some shelf liner I will put in later.

I have pine shavings to put in there. Right now I'm mostly concerned with being able to see droppings. I have some shelf liner I will put in later.
White paper towels work well.

Here on the West Coast, I've had good luck ordering from Jenx Hatchery out of Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom