First batch EVER going into 'bator 2morrow; Last minute questions!!!

Suellyn

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 7, 2008
SouthWestern PA
Okay, my first batch of eggs are "resting" & coming up to room temp, will put them into incubator tomorrow, I am soooooo excited!! I have done a LOT of reading here at BYC (understatement!!!
tongue.png
), but I have a couple of "last minute" questions...

I picked up my eggs from a REALLY NICE BYCer who lives nearby. I have 4 Silkie eggs, 1 "bonus" Serama egg (unexpected, but her hen popped it out today so she included it!), and 7 "Good egglayer" mixes (Leghorn, BR, RIR, Australorp... I forget exact possibilities!, will be fun to see).

The Silkies (& Serama) are "for me", if any hatch
fl.gif
. The egglayers were kinda a last minute decision... a friend of the family was over last night and said that he wanted a few chickens for his farm (he's been talking about it for a while!), but wasn't interested in trying to hatch his own... Anyway, while I was there, I asked if she had any eggs that would suit his needs, and voila...a quick trip to the coop and 7 more eggs for me to incubate. I figure it only makes sense, right? I mean, 4 little Silkie eggs & a TINY Serama egg would look kind of pitiful/lonely in the incubator, PLUS, now I don't have to worry so much about putting water bottles or something in with them to help stabilize temps with such a TINY hatch.
wink.png

Ok, my questions:
1.) How much luck have you had setting eggs into an egg carton while incubating? Does this decrease, increase, or have no impact, on hatch rate?

Some of the "layer" eggs are kinda dirty- understandable, they were not intended as hatching eggs- was a last minute request!! BUT, I've read over & over about not washing them (I DID try a bit of "sanding", but wasn't working well plus felt like I was going to scratch or break them), however, I want to keep "my" Silkies/Serama eggs as "safe" as possible, hence the egg cartons. I'm thinking of putting them in 1 carton, and the "layer" eggs in another carton, to keep them a bit separate. Also, I will always turn/touch the Silkies/Serama eggs first, then the "layers" second, which I figure will avoid possible contamination from my fingers.

So question # 2.) Does that sound like a reasonable course of action? I don't want to be paranoid, but I want to give them the best chances possible, especially considering MY inexperience.

Thanks SO much, and wish me luck... & I know Seramas can be um, DIFFICULT, to hatch sometimes... let alone it's my first try, let alone I only have ONE, maybe wish me DOUBLE luck, or at least BEGINNERS luck....

I dont use the carton method, but a lot of people do and they like it !! I find it just as easy to turn by hand I also think it looks a lot easier for the chick to hatch when the eggs on it's side. There are a lot of threads about it try searching (above) "egg carton method" or somthing on that idea !!!

I think all the eggs would be fine together, but..... if it makes you feel better to put them in 2 cartons or on seprate sides of the bator thats fine also... Do what makes you happy so it doesnt drive you crazy for 21 days
he.gif

Hope you have a GREAT hatch !!! GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK !!!!

fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

If you feel the urge to worry, worry about the temps and humidity in your incubator. A little contamination on the eggshells is normal in nature, and the closer you can simulate nature, the more successful you will be. That's not to say that you should incubate the dirtiest eggs you can find, but a slight amount of dirt is fine. Hope you have good luck!

Back
Top Bottom