First Batch Staggered Hatch...so far so good

alogue5173

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 11, 2012
Harrison, Georgia
I put my first ever batch of 13 eggs in the bator on Sept. 15th. Then on the 19th I added 6 more, then on the 21st, a relative gave me 19 game eggs to hatch. Of my original 13, ten made it to lockdown. These started pipping on day 19. Of the 10, seven made it to hatch with five sucessfully hatching and two dying during hatch (50% hatch rate). My next batch of six also started pipping on day 19 and five hatched successfully. My next batch of game eggs started pipping last night. Of the original 19 game eggs 13 made it to lockdown. So far three have pipped, although 1 has pipped on the side and there is blood so he has probably died.
I am using a still air bator. I keep humidity at around 30% til pip then raise to around 65% and lower it after hatch back to 30%. I keep temp between 100-102 degrees.
All hatched chicks seem to be doing great. The original 5 that hatched on the 4th of October were put with a mama broody and doing fantastic. The next batch of five are in the brooder, happy and active little fluffybutts. Will see how the game hatches are going when I get home this afternoon.

That's very interesting about the humidity. Usually that is the biggest concern with staggered hatches. I'm glad yours went well!

May not work that well ever again...idk. Was very surprised. I have to say I did use my own eggs and those of a relative, so its not like I took a gamble with expensive eggs or anything.

Back
Top Bottom