First chick hatched today! But i need some advice

tessandtherest

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
My first chick hatched in the incubator today, really exciting! There are 3 more to go. I moved the chick (after it was all dry and fluffy) into a bin with a heat lamp, scrambled eggs, and a little water. I went through different posts, and this is what i gathered from them. Is that good? Am i off to a good start? I raised 5 chicks last year, but i didn't incubate them myself, i got them as chicks. Tomorrow i will be buying feed. But if i decide to make my own chick feed, does anyone have a good recipe that wouldn't be expensive? I'd prefer to make my own feed anyway. I am so full of questions, last year was my first year of having chickens, and i am officially in love with them! Seems like every time i read a book, or anything online i learn something new.

I don't know about making your own feed, but if you do make sure it is high in protein. Babies of any animal will require more protein than adults due to growth and development. If you notice chick starter feeds, they tend to range from 19-24% protein.

There r a few problems that come along with making ur own grain unless u get it right immediately u could risk losing all your birds the store brands r balanced to keep them healthy also I do believe there r small amounts of antibiotics in the starter crumble atleast to prevent diseases I have heard of organic chicken keepers but they go through huge efforts to keep the birds healthy you may want to research before hand other then traditional grain I'm organic all the way

Back
Top Bottom