First chick hatched!!

Astrx

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
I was outside feeding the chickens when I heard a sound and turns out a chick hatched!He just hatched since he still hasn’t fully dried and this is actually the first time a hen of ours successfully hatches a chick!He came out a little early tho the hen sat on the eggs on September 2 and the eggs were supposed to hatch on the 22 could it be because of the sun? It’s 97° most of the time here and I’m just curious if the sun could speed up the hatching process but either way I’m so happy!!oh and another thing does someone know what breed this hen is

Attachments

• E4D100A3-044F-427E-A1F2-DD3E26F3DCEA.jpeg
    E4D100A3-044F-427E-A1F2-DD3E26F3DCEA.jpeg
    661.6 KB · Views: 2
Yay babies!

It could have been able to get an early start if the nest was getting hot enough. It's the temp and not the fluffy butts that determine when the embryo starts growing.

Keep an eye out for others over the next two days. Mamas and chicks are good at timing things, but problems can happen and babies can get stuck or some may have started a bit later when the official sitting started.

Chicks can go a few days on their yolk reserves, so there's no rush if they don't get up to eat for the first few days. Birth is exhausting and everyone needs a bit if time right now.

Yay babies!

It could have been able to get an early start if the nest was getting hot enough. It's the temp and not the fluffy butts that determine when the embryo starts growing.

Keep an eye out for others over the next two days. Mamas and chicks are good at timing things, but problems can happen and babies can get stuck or some may have started a bit later when the official sitting started.

Chicks can go a few days on their yolk reserves, so there's no rush if they don't get up to eat for the first few days. Birth is exhausting and everyone needs a bit if time right now.
I never knew that the temperature could do that.And yes I’ll be sure to check up on them I can’t wait to see them all, so far love the one that was the first one to hatch

Back
Top Bottom