First Chicken Loss and Now Sickly Looking Roo - Please Help

Chicks4MyFamily

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Valley City, OH
I picked up 4 eight month old Malaysian Seramas from a lady on BYC about two weeks ago (3 hens and 1 Roo). Yesterday morning I went out to feed & water everyone and I found one of the silkie Serama hens dead. No injuries. She was eating, drinking and eliminating the day before. I have them in quarantine in a rabbit hutch.

Last night the roo's tail was droopy. I fed and watered everyone this morning and I watched them all eat and drink. The other two hens seem OK. Tails up and walking around. Roo seems not to be as active and just went out again and his waddles look very pale - but eating and drinking. Gave them yogurt and water with vitamins. I emptied their cage and look through all the shavings and no unusual poo. Any suggestions? I have never lost a chicken before and I am so worried

I'm not sure.
hmm.png
Ok, what kind of environment do the live in?

Seramas are in quarantine in a wire rabbit hutch with solid tray on bottom. All sides of the cage have been secured with this rubber material - dry and temperature good (we are in Ohio). We are in process of finishing our bantam coop - it's not quite finished and they are in quarantine anyhow

Visually inspect them for lice/mites, especially around the vent area. Keep them in quarantine til you figure out what's going on...30 days is the norm, but it could possibly be longer in this instance.

Are there other roosters in with him?. If so he might have gotten spurred .My ro got spurred in the chest a while ago, his crawl felt watery and he would not eat..There was no wound. His comb was cold and pale. He remained sick for only 2 days and is fine now. I hope your roo gets better. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

they will definitely remain in quarantine. Now I am looking at one of my laying hens and her comb and wattles are also pale. I did visual inspection and found NO lice or Mites. I felt their bodies and they all seem a healthy weight. They all continue to eat and drink and gobbled up the cottage cheese and watermellon I just took out. I am SO concerned. The only thing I changed recently was I switched them over to nipple waterers. Everyone caught on very quickly and it works great. I inspected buckets and they are clean and clear. Help me please! I dust their coops and sand pits with DE and I sprinkled everyone with Sevin today while I was inspecting for pests (although I saw nothing!)

Any ideas?

could this possibly be the hen and roo going into their first molt? Normal appetite, drinking and eliminating all fine. No signs of lice or mites. Still very pale comb and wattles and hen hasn't laid in a few days - any ideas? I am very worried.

Back
Top Bottom